Mix of frizzle and silkie chick having spasms.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cynthia 085, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Hi

I need help.

My crossbreed silkie chick came very weak and I though it would die. However, I looked up here on past posts and was able to nurse the chick back to health or so I thought.

Today the chick convulsed. It had a seizure. I though it would die (T.T)

The chick recover though and I have been watching it more closely and monitoring it's actions more frequently.

Reading past posts I saw many causes of seizures. I just don't know how to go about all this. Please help me if you have had a similar case. Any help is welcomed!

1.When we got it two weeks ago it could not stand on it's own. It would not walk or run just laid there in a box with a light. We quarantined the chick for it to recover.
    2. It would not eat or drink on it's own we had to help; the chick refused water, but we still gave it some and it drank water.
    3. The chick was pooping green; I would say malnourishment as it was very very weak, but I am not sure.

I have it on tap water with a bit of natural vinegar. The food is natural starter chick food 18%.

The chick is a cross breed. Not sure, but with silkie and something else. Could it be related to genes alone?

What can I do to help the little chick live?

It has very short legs; not your normal silkie legs. Could this be because it is walking too much? Heart issues? Over exhaustion? Or some sort of illness?

I always offer water; I see this chick drink more than the others; dehydration? I offer water all the time and have different water dishes for the chicks.

The chick has always been sleepy and lethargic. I though the chick could get better, but now that his happened I am not sure.

It is difficult to see it suffer this way. If you have any information or can help me I am in your debt.

Thanks for your help in advance
    Cynthia [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think this is probably just going to be a weak chick. She may have some brain damage or brain inflammation causing her seizures. It may take a lot of extra care to keep her going. I would instead of the ACV, use a good vitamin/probiotic powder in her water every other day. Rooster Booster makes one called Vitamins with Lactobacillus that is inexpensive and easy to use in the water. If you want to give her treats, I would give a little chopped scrambled egg. I hope she starts to improve.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Thank you.

I will get the vitamins and that should help the chick a lot.

Is it Ok for the other chicks to drink the vitamins too? I do have them together and would hate to separate her yet again, but if I must then I guess I will; please guide me.

Thanks
    Cynthia

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes it would be good for the others, since the vitamins and probiotics every other day will help their immune systems, and can help to prevent intestinal diseases and vitamin deficiencies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by