Mix young and older pullets?

FarmDreams

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
CA
Hi,

I am very new to all this and I hope I am right here for asking my question.
We will be getting two 6-7 months old bantam leghorns this week. I would also love to add a 9 week old barrel rock to my coop and was wondering, if this would be okay? All of the girls will be new in this coop (never had chickens before) so I was thinking there shouldn't be any problem really about them picking on each other. But I wanna make sure.
wink.png

Thanks for any replies.

Sometimes with younger chicks, the older ones tend to pick on them. I would put them together and see how they do. A little pecking is okay, since they are making a new pecking order. I had the same thing happen with my pullets and my one older hen. She still herds them away from the food..so sometimes I still have to watch her... LOL
Hope this was somewhat helpful...

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Here is what I usually do:

Up to 8 week in the house with the brooder and heat lamp
At 8 weeks, we move them into this brooer outside with the heat lamp

IMG_0844.jpg

We leave them in there until they are fully feathered. You can see it is right next to the roost (to the left), so the chicks are visible to the other birds but seperated to avoid injury. They are usually in there to about 12 weeks.

To the left of the brooder, we cut a small opening in the wire and open it during the day, so the chicks can get in and out but the bigger birds won't fit in - a safety net so to speak. We keep that open for 4 weeks, then put them in the flock. There is the normal pecking order business but we have not ever had an injured bird following this method.

Good luck!!!!

We just did this last week....with 4 5-month old pullets and 4 5-week olds. The first nights the little ones stayed in their box together huddled up and were fine. I sat for several hours and noticed two of the older birds "picking on" the youngers but nothing that appeared too serious just what I would expect for establishing a pecking order I suppose. Next morning I go in the coop and find 4 large pullets with 1 dead little pullet
sad.png
and the three others in the farthest corner together behind the hay...(some IN the hay).......
so! never again will I put them in together so soon, we sectioned off (much like pp above) a big run with shavings and 1/2 bale of hay that they can snuggle into...we made a flap door in the chicken wire and used twist ties so we could open it to get food and water etc. They are thrilled, healthy thriving and I couldnt be happier. The bigger pullets can see them and they can get used to their surroundings. I wont be letting them out for another month or more (they are now 6 weeks). They have plenty of space. My only complaint now is that I am unable to hold them as much as I want because *I* can't fit through the flap we made so can only hold them when they come to me
smile.png
But they are happy, growing and safe and loved so I am pretty sure we are in good
tongue.png

omelletteontopof5weekers.jpg

omelletteandgretchen.jpg

gretcheninfrontof5weekers.jpg

5weekers.jpg

Back
Top Bottom