1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Mixed age flcok-feeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Angiebubs, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Hi,

I will be adding my baby chicks (8) to a group of hens (3), what feed to I give them? I understand the hens need layer feed and the younger ones need grower....how do I do this with them in the same coop?

Any suggestions??

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Purina and other companies make a feed called Flock Raiser. It is a good feed for chicks, roosters, and laying hens, and has a little more protein which can help if you have feather or egg-eaters. You do need to provide oyster shell for the extra calcium that hens need, but that roos and chicks don't.

3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I have mixed flock also, I put the grower out for everyone and put oyster shell and grit out so they can use what they need. My whole flock gets weeds daily from the garden also and kitchen scraps. I free range them for about an hour a day in the eve so they don't do too much damage to my gardens.

4. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Im wondering the same thing. I have 14 chicks on starter and about to add a few pullets. Not sure if they are laying yet but I wondered if I could keep everyone on starter and add some egg shells instead of oyster shell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by