Mixed ages of chickens, what to feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tazcat70, Dec 2, 2007.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I wasn't too worried when the ages were about a month apart. Everyone got medicated chick feed. I am not even sure if my feed store carries unmedicated.

Now, however I have 2 older birds. They are either at the point of lay or one is laying. I looked at their vents. I have only had them for 2 days so no proof.

The medicated chick crumbles is 18% CP and the layer pellets is 15% CP

There are some small differences in the minerals. the biggest being calcium about tripled in the layer pellets.

My youngest birds are 10 weeks.

They get some cracked corn, to help with the cold.

To help with protein I can boil eggs and feed them that. How many eggs per bird?

But what about the minerals and vitamins? I know in cattle they have free choice, is there anything like that for chickens?

Thank you,

Tonya

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Do you have a flock raiser? It would be a 18 percent protein feed that you can give to all poultry. Just offer oyster shell for the calcium for the older girls. They will eat it if they need it.

As for your medicated feed, what type of medication? If it is ONLY amprolium, you can give that to all the birds and you can still eat the eggs. Just offer free choice oyster shell.

3. tazcat70

Thank you Silkiechicken

The only drug listed is Amprolium. So just go and buy a bag of oyster shell grit. Will it be ok if the younger ones eat that too? This would be in addition to the granite grit.

Tonya

4. silkiechicken

The oyster shell really isn't a grit per se, but your younger birds won't probably won't touch it. I find mine only eat the oyster shell when they need it.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I feed purina flock raiser and have oyster shell out in a bowl for them to have free choice. The hens seem to know when they need it and take some occasionally....and the others seem to ignore it. I quit feeding layer when one of my roosters got crippled up and I was told it could be from him eating layer. I haven't had any more problems since I started using the flock raiser.

6. tazcat70

Katy where do you buy it from. I know that you are in the same "area."

7. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    The mention of flock raiser has me interested. I have quit feeding laying pellets and started feeding grower due to different ages. I give oyster shell and baked crushed egg shell free choice. How does flock raiser compare to layer and grower in price?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Taz....I buy it from chisholm trail country store near Newton...I'm sure that any place that sells Purina products can get it for you if they don't have it. I see a commercial on TV for Woodward Country Store(I don't think that name is quite right) and they carry Purina and are in the Wichita area somewhere.

It is about the same price as the Purina Layer.

9. silkiechicken

Looing at the labels. It is almost the same as layer except without the calcium added. 16% protein.

10. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by