Mixed ages, what to feed them?? Chick Starter / laying pellets?

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
I have now intergrated my chick's (teenagers
smile.png
) that are between 10 - 14 weeks with my hens that are over a year and laying. How do I keep them from eating each others feed? I have chick starter for the teenagers and laying pellets for the hens. Is there a problem if they eat each others food??

I have a house with mixed ages. I put out laying pellets and start and grow. The younger chickens eat the start and grow and the layers eat the pellets. I guess they just know somehow what they need.

Darin

I have all different ages of chickens. I use an all purpose feed, let them free range in the yard, and supply oyster shell next to the grit for the layers to use. Everyone seems to do fine.

I was just getting on here to ask this VERY question--glad you beat me to it!

I have 8 hens and two roos (one of those roos is soon to be dumplings) who are about 15 weeks old, and then a whole MESS of chicks, ranging from 3 days to 4 weeks of age.

So I can get laying pellets AND chick starter (then grower), and just put them both out free-choice, and trust the birds to eat what they need?

I have a mixed flock. They all free range. I just mix scratch, layer pellets, baby chick crumbles (non-medicated) and sunflower seeds.

Here is a much simpler and much cheaper alternative /solution. Buy purina FlockRaiser feed and feed it to everyone and don't worry if the chicks are getting to much calcium or if the hens are eating the start and grow. Simply feed flockraiser and add a dish of oyster shell out of the chicks feeding area for the hens for the extra calcuim they need. Problem solved and money saved not buying 2 different feeds.

I also use and like the Flockraiser. Cuts way down on the hassle and its less to keep straight!

Back
Top Bottom