Mixed ages, what to feed them?? Chick Starter / laying pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by steffpeck, Jul 23, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I have now intergrated my chick's (teenagers [​IMG] ) that are between 10 - 14 weeks with my hens that are over a year and laying. How do I keep them from eating each others feed? I have chick starter for the teenagers and laying pellets for the hens. Is there a problem if they eat each others food??

2. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I have a house with mixed ages. I put out laying pellets and start and grow. The younger chickens eat the start and grow and the layers eat the pellets. I guess they just know somehow what they need.

Darin

3. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Thanks!!

4. OtneyPrice

OtneyPrice Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    I have all different ages of chickens. I use an all purpose feed, let them free range in the yard, and supply oyster shell next to the grit for the layers to use. Everyone seems to do fine.

5. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I was just getting on here to ask this VERY question--glad you beat me to it!

I have 8 hens and two roos (one of those roos is soon to be dumplings) who are about 15 weeks old, and then a whole MESS of chicks, ranging from 3 days to 4 weeks of age.

So I can get laying pellets AND chick starter (then grower), and just put them both out free-choice, and trust the birds to eat what they need?

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have a mixed flock. They all free range. I just mix scratch, layer pellets, baby chick crumbles (non-medicated) and sunflower seeds.

7. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Here is a much simpler and much cheaper alternative /solution. Buy purina FlockRaiser feed and feed it to everyone and don't worry if the chicks are getting to much calcium or if the hens are eating the start and grow. Simply feed flockraiser and add a dish of oyster shell out of the chicks feeding area for the hens for the extra calcuim they need. Problem solved and money saved not buying 2 different feeds.

8. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Thanks!!

9. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    I also use and like the Flockraiser. Cuts way down on the hassle and its less to keep straight!

10. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    If they all live together, how do you keep the chicks from eating the oyster shell?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by