Mixed Bag of Chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by superseeds, Sep 14, 2012.

1. superseeds

superseeds Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    homestead-u.blogspot.ca
    HI all,

If I am only planning to have 10 chickens, is it bad or too difficult perhaps, to have 2 or 3 chicks of 4 different types of chickens.
    ie:

2 EE's
    2 Opington
    3 Chantecler
    3 Plymouth Rock

or whatever. Would getting them all at the same time be too difficult because not one haterchaery may have them all? is it noticeably easier if all the chicks are the same breed, assuming they are all pretty docile breeds?

Or is it too difficult to ensure they are all hens? and is it best if they all start on the same day basically? bad to introduce a couple baby chicks 1 week into the others being brooded?

Side note: If there is anyone within driving distance to Toronto, Canada who has any of these chicks available in the spring please let me know...

Thanks in advance

RF

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You can mix different breeds of chickens, most of us here do. If you order from a hatchery you can ask for sexed chicks and tell them you would like females only. The sexing is pretty accurate, 95% + chance you'll get girls only. I honestly can't tell you if it would be possible to get them all at the same time. That depends on the hatchery(its). Have a look here: Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries and also in the Buy~Sell~Trade section for chicks for sale. It wouldn't be a problem if you get say, 5 chicks today and add another 5 next week. Chicks are quite friendly and will happily accept more friends. Just make sure, if you get chicks from an unknown source (i.e. some random breeder) that they are healthy. Better to check with the members here that the breeders/hatcheries have good feedback and sell healthy chicks etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by