MIXED BAG...What do I have?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickNanny13, Sep 11, 2016.

1. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Just got my "variety" pack of 10 from a local breeder [​IMG], hatched Sept 6, 7, 8. I'm told 1 "blue" Silkie, 3 "blue" Wynadottes, 1 "blue" Orpington, 1 Marana, 1 AM/EE, possibly 2 and ? on the remainder. It's going to be fun identifying them as they grow, hoping for pullets [​IMG] but breeder will take back cockerels.

I prefer to raise in the house until the dust drives me nuts, instead of a heat lamp using Bloopie's MHP. It's a MUST, they love it! Immediately hunkered down & it's QUIET! Keep checking so see if they're still breathing! They've eaten & drank so I know they're fine and loving their MHP. Have them on dry feed but will be switching to FF as soon as it's ready, wasn't expecting them until next week. The last batch raised on FF, love the benefits.

[​IMG]Silkie

[​IMG]AM/EE

[​IMG]Wynadotte

[​IMG]Wynadotte

[​IMG]? Splash, noisy too

[​IMG]? Splash

[​IMG]Marana?

[​IMG]AM/EE?

[​IMG]Orpington

[​IMG]Wynadotte

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I think its too early to tell. Maybe if you post when they are around 6 weeks old, the experts here will have a better chance of advising you. Congrats on your new flock!

CT

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    [​IMG]Will do! The tiniest Wyandotte's really weak, waiting for feed store to open up to pick up some vitamin water or Nutri Drench....Ideas? Fingers crossed, keeping it close to my body, the others are getting very rambunctious!

4. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Chick (last pic) didn't make it [​IMG] The remaining strong & doing well, MHP working GREAT! Quiet & they seem to be alot calmer than those that I've raised with a heat lamp. The quiet is really NICE [​IMG] Will post updated pics in a week or two....

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Sorry about your little one - it happens sometimes. Good to hear that the rest are doing well and your MHP is doing the trick!

6. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Thank you.

7. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I think your guesses are right. I know the Marans looks correct as long as its supposed to be black (probably, those seem to be the most common).

I'm glad you use the MHP. More people need to try it; I will never ever go back to a heat lamp unless both my heating pads break at once and I need the heat lamp for a few hours while I go to the store for a new one!

1 person likes this.
  8. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Ok for sure, got only 1 AM/EE, the one in question is ? Enjoying watching them develop their personalties, ? is very 'assertive'; jumping on to my arm when I'm cleaning. The 'bigger' ones will eat from my hand, the FF doing it's job, less poop & smell not as noticeable :) Love that stuff & they do to.

9. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    UPDATE: Rehomed the 2 Splash & 2 Blue/Black with feather legs...

What kind of comb is this? It's on the AM that I'm thinking is an EE maybe mixed? Got tinted legs & had "cheeks" but the comb don't look like a Pea Comb to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one I think is Maran but also beginning to think it'a a Cockerel :( Wing feathers finally, no tail and it hatched with the rest, it's a cutie!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are suppose to be Blue Laced Wynadottes, think the bigger one (lower pix) maybe a Cockerel :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last is the Silkie, that is so very quiet & SWEET!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    That looks like a pea or possibly rose comb to me. It also looks like you have at least three boys. They will start turning red in the comb in the next few weeks, if so.

ETA it's also 100% not an "AM" (Ameraucana), though it could be an Easter egger. They aren't the same thing and the terms aren't interchangeable no matter how many people try to perpetuate that.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by