Mixed bag??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Resi, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Resi

Resi Just Hatched

Dec 10, 2016
    Hello! and thank you in advance for helping this newbie!

I did buy 5 Australorps but a visit by the local fox, meant that yesterday I was at the receiving end of a flock of 7 chooks to join my 2 remaining Australorps.

However I am not sure that what I got is what I have been told they are....

Originally I was told there are 1 x buff cochin, 1 x Plymouth Rock, 2 x Silver Spangled Humburg and 3 x Autralorps

here some photos for your advice pls!

[​IMG]
    photo 1- 2 x SSH and impostor 1 - was told a Plymouth Rock... but has got feathered feet...

[​IMG]
    photo 2 - Cochin (Tick) - but is it a boy or a girl? my guess a girls...

[​IMG]
    photo 3 - Mr handsome and got into a fight within 2 min of meeting my Asutralrop cockerel...

[​IMG]
    photo 4 - Who's this - defo not an Australorp... very white, with very yellow feet. Could this be the Plymouth Rock?

[​IMG]
    photo 5 - from left to right: a 'blue' Australorp, white chooky-chook, the pretend Plymouth Rock and a very pale (lavender?) something that looks like an Australorp.

now these are about 9weeks old bought at a local auction, inherited yesterday as the guy got a job and moving across Oz.

what do you think fine peeps? I will try to get better photos too...but wow, they are a flighty bunch, except for the Cochin which keeps getting trampled by the others....

thank you all and happy new year to you all! Resi

2. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    subsribing I'll help in a lil in a hurry!

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    The Silver Spangled Hamburgs look right from what I can see.

The buff/columbian "Rock" with feathered feet...can't be a Rock. I would need to see a full profile to attempt a guess. It may be a mixed breed or might be a Buff Brahma, but I just can't see it well. Take a look at the comb. If it looks like a row of peas, it is a Buff Brahma. (vs. what you are seeing in the white bird, the single comb).

Your Buff Cochin is a bit light on the foot feathers and not quite moppish feathered enough, but that could be photo angle. It may be a Cochin mix or simply a hatchery quality Cochin. Yes, that looks to be female.

The white chicken...yes...that looks to be a White Plymouth Rock. (Rocks come in lots of colors).

I can't see Australorp candidates well enough to comment.

Enjoy your flock. (Sorry about the fox losses....I've had terrible time with predators this winter too. Reinforce and lock up every night.)

...and.... [​IMG]

LofMc

1 person likes this.
  4. Resi

Resi Just Hatched

Dec 10, 2016
    Thank you!
    yes - installing automated door opener to the chook palace we inherited at the new house.
    The fox incident was a human error - wipper-snipping the edges of the run broke the chicken wire and i missed repairing one whole, plus going to work in a rush and giving up on the chooks not wanting to go in their coop! so actually now that i think about it's their fault! just kidding - all human error :(
    off to try to get some better photos!
    Thanks for the help! R

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    #4 Looks like a White Cornish. The Hamburgs both look like males. The Cochin is definitely female. The other feather-legged one could be a Cochin as well. Need individual shots of the presumed Australorps.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

7. Resi

Resi Just Hatched

Dec 10, 2016
    here some close-up of some kind - gosh they are skittish!

[​IMG]
    who am I? a buff grey Australorp but I forget to shave my legs!!! or something else???

[​IMG]
    I am also confused? a lavender Australorp?

only you can tell me!!!

thank you peeps! Resi

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    First one is a Brahma cross. The second is Splash in color. Are you in Australia, by any chance? Blue, Splash, and Lavender Australorps are much more common in Australia than they are in other parts of the world.

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Agree with Junebuggena that it looks to be a Brahma cross...that is not a proper Buff Brahma coloring.

The Splash bird....we don't see blue Australorps let alone Splash here in America, but if you were in Australia, I'm sure you have more access.

I think the white bird is a White Rock. I'm not seeing a heavy enough body type for Cornish Cross, especially in the legs.

Time will tell. It will far outstrip size and weight gain of the others, to the point, you will either need to eat or put it on a controlled diet as Cornish Cross can become obese if left to themselves with free feed.

I'm also getting the feeling that none of these birds are necessarily pure in breed, except the Hamburgs look right, and I agree, the also look male.

LofMc

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Not Cornish Cross, White Cornish. Different breed entirely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by