Mixed bag!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Our Roost, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    We are ordering our chicks within the next month for our first batch of chicks as beginners. I have been searching and looking at different breeds and quality suited for egg, meat and climate adaptable birds. Its northern Michigan! We are purchasing 13 rhode island white sex link pullets for meat. I hope to mix a few (4 each) black sex link, buff orpington and golden laced wyandotte hens together for egg layers. Should be colorful as well as some good hens and pets. They are all said to be docile and friendly birds. I have built an 8 x16 x8 coop and fenced a 40 x 60 run area. Weather proof, ground floor, electric, nesting boxes (12), roosts, exit doors, rain water feeded troughs, well ventilated with windows and the whole nine yards! It is painted barn red with white trim and looks like the Taj Mah Hal! I will send some pics once we are up and running.
    My question is-- are these breeds compatible with each other? also, are the pullets the best choice for meat? Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Welcome to the Backyard Chickens website!

Yes, all of those breeds are compatible. All breeds are compatible for that matter. There are much hardier breeds, though. But those ones aren't bad.

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    What are these? I highlighted them.
    The others are good layers and very pretty.

4. Our Roost

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Guess maybe I worded that wrong. The mix is a rhode island red with a rhode island white. Color distinguishes the sex of the chicks. Hen pullets as they are called are white in this case.

5. Our Roost

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Thanks for the comment. Which breeds are heardier for weather, meat, and egg production?

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    So you're getting gold sexlinks(13) they're your egg-layers
    Buff Orpington and Golden-laced Wyandotte these lay fairly well more for eye candy than the sex links
    Black sexlinks your other group of egg-layers

All will do well for you in your climate with good shelter in the winter months.
    None of the above are for meat though esp. pullets, you'll be quite surprised at the least of the amount of meat any of these breeds don't put on. They are all out of production/hatchery stock if you want meat chickens you'll have to order Broilers / CornishxRock hybrid meat birds.

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Thanks, I thought that was probably what you meant, but wasn't so sure.
    The Chickens that Ideal call Rhode Island Whites are good layers themselves, my brother had a few and they laid almost everyday.

8. Our Roost

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Thanks for the tip on cornishxrock hybrid meat birds. I'm mixed up with the cornish hens at the grocery store! I will definitely investigate this broiler breed before I decide. Thanks

9. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    That's what the cornish hens at the grocery store are they are CornishX they just butcher them at 4 weeks old instead of 6 is all, but they are pullets as they are a wing feather sexing hybrid at hatch. Money makers for sure by the price they charge for them in the stores. They're nothing anymore special then a reg broiler just a few weeks younger and that makes them a little more tender. Id reckon?

Jeff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by