1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixed bantams help with sexing please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OffGridFish, Nov 23, 2016.

1. OffGridFish

OffGridFish Just Hatched

Hello, I've recently been given 8 mixed bantam chicks from a neighbour and have fallen in love with them all! I'm finding it very tricky to sex them as apart from an obvious downy rooster and an obvious barred hen, they seem to be on a spectrum rather than female/male dichotomy. I should have more patience but want to start lining up homes for the roos asap. The downy rooster is the only one crowing at all and they aren't really fighting. No saddle feathers yet. It looks like they are from two different roosters and three hens, which i guess doesn't help... they did all hatch within a couple of days and are about 7 weeks old now. The one very dedicated broody hen in the pics has raised all 8. Any breed suggestion would be great too, there are some silkies in the neighbours flock and maybe wyandotte/dominique bantams? Seem to be rose combs mostly. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] At a quick glance, it looks like a bunch of cockerels to me, but it is a bit early yet. One barred is a pullet, and the whites may be pullets. The other 5 appear to be cockerels.

3. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    x2

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 3 Beware of neighbors and former friends bearing chickens - most times they will be cockerels[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by