Mixed Breed 6 month Old Turkeys (Male or Female)??

I have no doubt that they are mixed and not pure varieties. If you have other poultry, it is a really bad idea to bring in a pair of toms. Eventually they will try breeding the other poultry during breeding season.

If it is a rescue, you will not have any idea of the background of these turkeys. If you just want these turkeys as pets, keep the hens. In the long run you will be happier with the hens.
I do have ducks and geese but they all have their own individual coop and pen. I also built the coop for the turkeys with their own pen. All pens are 30’x 30’ so I believe they have enough room. I’m still torn because I love the way the male turkeys look. I know some people say they are very ugly but I love their look. My dad had a couple when I was growing up and I don’t know, I just loved how they look 😁

They are not a mixed breed. They are a mixed variety
He told me they are mixed with Narraganset, bourbon red and black Spanish.

With chickens, different breeds can have very different traits (like Leghorns or Cochins or Silkies).

Turkeys do not have as many differences, so they are more like one breed that comes in several color varieties (like the many colors of Cochins.)

Yes, yours are probably mixed, but it's not the kind of mix that will cause the turkeys any problems.

With chickens, different breeds can have very different traits (like Leghorns or Cochins or Silkies).

Turkeys do not have as many differences, so they are more like one breed that comes in several color varieties (like the many colors of Cochins.)

Yes, yours are probably mixed, but it's not the kind of mix that will cause the turkeys any problems.
Ok thank you.

Beautiful hens! Toms are lovely but hens are definitely more fun pets. Toms can tolerate attention, but them strutting around you in circles endlessly gets boring after awhile lol. Love my boy but my hens are infinitely more fun than him.

Beautiful hens! Toms are lovely but hens are definitely more fun pets. Toms can tolerate attention, but them strutting around you in circles endlessly gets boring after awhile lol. Love my boy but my hens are infinitely more fun than him.
Thanks for your response. In what way are hens more fun?

Thanks for your response. In what way are hens more fun?
If you can get them pretty tame they are very curious and nosy. They always get in your business and want to know what you're doing. They usually have a lot of personality and it's just fun to watch them running around doing turkey things. My tom is always just glued next to me strutting in circles, he doesn't really let me see him do generic turkey things. I can barely get him to eat any treats from my hand bc hes too busy trying to look pretty lol. All my hens have distinct personalities and its very endearing.

If you can get them pretty tame they are very curious and nosy. They always get in your business and want to know what you're doing. They usually have a lot of personality and it's just fun to watch them running around doing turkey things. My tom is always just glued next to me strutting in circles, he doesn't really let me see him do generic turkey things. I can barely get him to eat any treats from my hand bc hes too busy trying to look pretty lol. All my hens have distinct personalities and its very endearing.
You have convinced me. They do have a lot of personality. I would be sitting inside there pen all of sudden they jump up and take off running with their wings open and go around me like an airplane 😆 They are fun to watch. I think I will tell him to just give me one of the adult toms and I will keep these two. They are very pretty. Thank you. 😊

Back
Top Bottom