1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixed breed chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by keyloulou, May 24, 2016.

1. keyloulou

keyloulou New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    We were at Tractor Supply on May 7th 2016 and a nice lady gave me a hen and 3 chicks, She said they were bar rocks but the hen is fairly small. The bar rocks that I have had in the past were much bigger. The same day someone gave my husband 3 white chicks and we were told they were white leggings. The chicks looked to be the same age but the white ones were much bigger. They have been here just over 2 weeks so we can at least say they are all 2 weeks are more of age. The white chick has grown a nice wing span and feathers and yesterday I noticed tail feathers beginning to come in.What confuses me is the fact that the feathers on the wings are not all white. On the left wing there looks to be a couple of feathers that have black splotches but when the wing is extended it looks like the wing has feathers that have black and white stripes on them.That is the only color I see on the chick. Could this be some cross breed?

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Could you post some pictures of them?

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    X2. The Barred Rocks might be bantams.

4. keyloulou

keyloulou New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    I'm sorry but I went out to the chicken yard to get pictures of her but she was gone! I usually sit out there with her when they are pecking around in case the other hen tries to be mean to her.
    I spent hours looking for her walking the neighbors yard, under the house, buildings, calling and crying. She was nothing but a pet. There were no feathers anywhere and the hen had her chicks hiding in the roost and she was hiding behind the roost. I saw a cat the other day so i don't know what happened. I was inside 10 15 minutes. I am so heartbroken

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    She still may come home. I believe if she doesn't she found another home. Or someone else pick her up. I hate to think the other way if no feathers are found.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by