Mixed Breed Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickielove87, Feb 27, 2013.

1. chickielove87

chickielove87 New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    I have Silkies and Easter Eggers right now, but I am thinking of adding another chicken for eggs and meat. I am going to be keeping them with my EE's and planning on having the hens breed with the EE Roo for offspring only to be used for eggs and meat. I want to see if any of you have bred any of the following with EE's.

Rhode Island Red
    Barred Plymonth Rock
    Wyandotte

Which would be best for meat and egg production?
    Do you know if any combination with EE's is fatal or sterile?

The only reason I'm keeping them with the EE's is that I don't want another Roo for reproduction and I don't want to have to build another pen. The pen in plenty big enough for at least 10 more birds.

PLEASE let me know your experience and if you have any pictures, please post!

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Im not sure but ees are a pretty scrawny breed lol i have ees and wyandottes but in separate pens. :)

3. chickielove87

chickielove87 New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    My Roo is about 5-6 pounds. I also have a bantam EE Roo that is only about 1.5 pounds, but we're getting him a new home. My hens are 3-4 pounds. I figured breeding a big hen (like one of the breeds above) with a good sized Roo would thicken the offspring up a bit, and they'll lay blue eggs! :)

4. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    My wyandotte roo is at least 7 lbs my ee probably 5 but might be going as he has a messed up foot.

5. chickielove87

chickielove87 New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    I got 6 more today. I have no control. Haha
    3 Red Hens & 3 Americana Hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by