Mixed Breed Cockeral??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by warren86, Oct 11, 2016.

1. warren86

warren86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2016
    Looks like a mix breed Cockeral but I do not know what he's a great up fights between hens find them food all the good things a rooster should any ideas what could this guy be[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    American game mix, possibly crossed/mixed with the "Pumpkin" variety/color of game.

3. warren86

Oct 8, 2016
    If it's a possible American game mix I have kids should I get rid of him? Or will his aggression be lower not being a full breed

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Has he shown any signs of aggressive towards you or your kids?

5. warren86

Oct 8, 2016
    Not to be but he has tried to go after my young ones 5 and 3

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If he's gone after your kiddos, it doesn't matter what breed he is. He needs to go.

Kev, I have a question---would that account for the white earlobes? I was thinking Leghorn mix, cause that's what I think when I see those lobes, and the large comb.

7. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Agree with you, donrae about the attacking.

It is hard to tell as games are bred to be aggressive yet also bred to be handleable(all that grooming, hands on breeding, transportation etc etc). Still, a percentage of them will go after people. From experience, game crosses can show something like "above average" aggression- some of them would only try to fight other chickens, but a few did challenge me- always a big mistake.. let's say they simply don;t get a chance to challenge any human ever again...

From what you say, he is showing a fair degree of game traits- quick to get involved in fights, very attentive'protective to hens- which seems to be a good thing however in games and some game mixes it also means they are rather ready to attack *you* if you grab a hen and she sqawks or flaps around.... you can test for it by deliberately grabbing a hen.. if he flies and attacks you, I'd worry about having that around kids. Kids can be loud or unintentionally "scare" one of his girls and bring on another attack if he likes to respond that way.

@donrae white lobes are common in games, many times you don't get to see them due to dubbing. Same goes for the large combs- it's surprising how big they can get on some pure games.

I did consider leghorn mix also- if whoeever bred this bird said they had leghorns I would believe it being a leghorn mix. The reason for going with game mix are the little things like his apparent attitude/behavior, super long and skinny legs, extreme squirrel tail(very common in games- do leghorns get squirrel tails too?) and lastly the coloring reminds me of the pumpkin variety. Easier to believe it being a pumpkin mix rather than believe that color somehow coming out of a leghorn if that makes sense..

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks Kev.....

do they dub the lobes also? I guess it might make sense, but I'd never thought it through....I don't know why but that disturbs me in a way the thought of comb dubbing does not [​IMG]

I don't know if Leghorns get the squirrel tail. I don't remember seeing any here that stand out.

Thanks for your reply. I know next to nothing about games, but am starting to expand in that area, slowly. So many varieties, etc to try to keep track of!

9. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    He doesn't appear to be too chicken aggressive seeing that there are two other roosters with him.

10. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yeah they dub the lobes also. I know we are not really allowed to talk about it too deeply on here but it disturbs me too.

When my family moved out to the country, an uncle gave us pure game chickens, so that's how I became familiar with them and they were my introduction into poultry in general.

I have no desire to keep the standard type anymore but do love some of the oriental types.. especially the crazier looking ones- extremely upright, so on... haha btw orientals normally are not dubbed in any way, as far as I know...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by