Mixed Breed (?) I bought at a flea market!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BabyChicken420, Nov 20, 2015.

1. BabyChicken420

BabyChicken420 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2015
    South Texas
    She is about 9 weeks old and I got her at a flea market when she was a few days old, mixed with a bunch of other identical chicks just different colors. I completely forgot to ask for the breed, but I'm very sure she is mixed. I know it is almost impossible to tell a mixed breed but I am very curious and would just like to know anything at all!

Here are the other in the cage she was in:
    [​IMG]

Here she is about a week old:
    [​IMG]

And then a few of her now, at about 9 weeks old. She just developed that black head about two weeks ago, but looks lke its changing again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like an Easter Egger, and it's a cockerel. Pullets do not start to turn red in the comb until after 14 weeks old, and that dark red on the shoulders is a classic sign of a rooster.

3. Boom Boom Chick

Boom Boom Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    Hello,

Your baby is very cute and colorful! I'm not sure what breed he is bit he shows characteristics of a rooster. Long chest by the way he stands upward and the black line on his beak has always been a dead give away for me a my 2 roos. I wish the best of luck with finding the mix breed.

4. BabyChicken420

Nov 20, 2015
    South Texas
    Oh wow thanks for letting me know! I just assumed it was a pullet because my grandma and mom insisted that [​IMG] I have actually been reading on Easter Eggers since I found a picture that looked just like mine! Thanks for your help!

5. BabyChicken420

Nov 20, 2015
    South Texas
    Yes I just realized as the previous user said too, wow I'm shocked ! [​IMG] As it was in its 4-5th week I actually suspected this myself then I was told it was a chicken, but now I guess it's a roo again! He/She is beautiful regardless but I hope it isnt a roo! Thanks for your help!

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Both roosters and hens are chickens.

7. BabyChicken420

Nov 20, 2015
    South Texas
    Sorry I meant "hen" [​IMG] I find myself using "chicken" a lot for the females, but yes the seller definitely told me it was a female which is the word she used specifically, but she looked very young and seemed like she just wanted me to hurry and buy it. Good thing I have a family member who is willing to take in some roosters. I guess i'll raise it for a while and have to let it go once it starts crowing and making too much noise for my small neighborhood.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel - interesting color change on his head, and yes, I can see he is starting to change again.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It's an Easter Egger cockerel.

10. BabyChicken420

Nov 20, 2015
    South Texas
    Do you know if Easter Egger means a specific breed? I've been looking all over the place for this answer and I've heard its a variant of some specific breed but ive also heard its just any hen with the blue egg laying gene. I plan on getting more of this breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by