Mixed Breed Opinions

AccidentalFarm

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 29, 2007
Texas
First off- I was unsure of whether I should post this in Breeds in General, or here..so if i'm in the wrong place, oops and sorry! Figured I'd post here because my question isn't about 'a' breed, but about mixing breeds.....

Anyway, I am wondering what the general concensus is on mixed breed chickens. I don't have any at the moment, but I have a pretty varied flock, and plan to add at least 5 more different breeds.

I'd like to hear what others have to say about mixed breeds. Any particular mixes that you really like? What to avoid? Basically, any comments or suggestions would be welcome. I plan to let some of the girls brood, and would like to work out which hens stay with which roo's ahead of time. This is a laying flock, but dual purpose is always a plus. I'm looking for color, good temperment, and good layers. What would be good crosses? Here's what I have:

Females:
Buff Orp
Buff Brahma
Dk. Brahma
Gold Laced Cochin
RIR
White Rock
Barred Rock
Ameraucana
Black Sex-Link
White Crested Black Polish
(will be adding: SF's, Cream Brabanter, Buff Laced Polish, Std. Sultan, Blue Cochin, and Lt. Brahma)

Males:
White Crested Black Polish
Leghorn
RIR
(possible add: Lt. Brahma)

All standard breeds. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Don't bother trying to cross the black sex link with anything. They're F1 hybrids - first crosses - and only the first crosses show the massive egg production.

Don't forget that the dad determines the egg colour that the offspring will lay, so if you cross the Ameraucana then you won't get any more blue eggs.

I knew about the sex-links not breeding true, but wow, how interesting about the egg color. I did not know that.

the problem w/cross bred chickens is if you ever want to get rid of them, it's harder than purebreds....unless you eat them, then it won't matter..........

I love my cross bred chickens!

They're funny
Nekodasaddle.jpg

Sweet
winter009.jpg

Stylish
IMG_5267.jpg

And oh, so handsome!
winter003.jpg

Oscar2.jpg

All of the chickens you listed are nicely compatable. I especially like second and third generation Polish crosses, because they have a smaller more managable crest that I think is so cute!

Mix your RIR male with; White Rock,
Barred Rock and Lt. Brahma's to get sex-linked chickens.

Take the hens and roosters that have the qualities you find important and breed them together. The next generation sex-link may not have mom's laying ability, but may have other qualities that you like- so use your judgment and figure out what's important to you.

Remember, the reason these breeds exist in the first place is because someone wanted certain qualities and went out and mixed the different breeds in order to get the chicken they wanted. So have fun with it!

I cross my sex link hens with roosters of egg laying breeds, like RIR, Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Black Autalorps.
I get very pretty hens & my experience has been that they lay almost as well as their hybrid mothers.
I also noticed that the mixed breeds seem to be healthier too. Kinda like mixed dogs, they seem to be much hardier.
Around here, most folks just want a pretty hen that lays.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the purebreds,and I have several breeds that I keep separate, but remember, most of (the purebreds) got started by mixing different breeds.

I did a little bit of crossing different breeds for a couple of years, it was fun to see what I got. Most of them were sold though, we raise & sell lots of chickens here.

One of my favorite mixed chickens are a Buff Orpington Rooster over Golden Laced Wyandotte hens. The pullets produced by these are the prettiest hens, & good egg layers.
They had a pattern similar to the Columbian, but with the main color being buff.

Jean

Last edited:
I plan on cross breeding my Birds. I just love Mixed breeds. dogs and chickens!
big_smile.png

the birds I have are:
Hens
Black Australorp
Delaware
Barred Rock
Buff Rock
SS Hamburg
Americauna
NH Red

Roos
SS Hamburg
Americauna
Silver Pheonix

Cant wait to see what I can come up with!
lol.png

I have some eggs under one of my hen that are just a mix form my flock and I plan to keep al lthe girls and find homes for the boys. My possibilities are -

Hens:
Buff orp (this is most likely as it is the majority of my flock)
RIR
NHR
SLW
Delaware(only one of those)
Red sex-link
uh I think that is all

Roos:
Moses, the Buff Orpington

Have no choice this year as all my chicks will be home raised by broody hens.

Hens:
Black Sex Links(4)
RIR(25 or so)
Columbian Rocks(25 or so)
RIR X Columbian first cross (25 or so)
Homeraised Crossed between everything (10 or so)

Roos:
Speckled Sussex
RIR
Columbian Rock
Homeraised Crosses (5)
Dark Brahma (1)

If it is the rooster that determines egg color produced, is it also the rooster that determines the quantity of eggs a hen will lay?

Back
Top Bottom