Mixed breed, or "mixed" breed?

Welshies

Crowing
May 8, 2016
Alberta, Canada
So recently I foundout my 3 "mixed breed" hens were actually Barred Rocks! I was so excited:celebrate
20180101_172247.jpg

When the lady sold them to me, I had no idea where they came from. She had 5 RIRs, purebreds, and the new chicks she got were a combination of Barred Rocks, a Silkie, etc.
Got me thinking...
When I asked her what breed they all were, she said "Barnyard mix". But doesn't that always mean "a mix of pure breeds" in hatcheries?
Now I'm more curious than anything. You think the 2 others could be pure? I doubt it, but I am super curious now:p
There's my rooster, Ashley, who I wonder about, and my black hen Beetle, who I also wonder about.
And of course Wobbles, my handicapped barred Rock.:love
Thoughts?
20180101_121017.jpg

The second picture of the black and white bird isn't a barred rock. Could be a cuckoo marans. But the birds can also be mixes that look like pure breeds. The roo looks like a mix, what type of comb does he have? And barnyard mix could be a mix of pure breeds or could be a mix of a mix of a mix.

The second picture of the black and white bird isn't a barred rock. Could be a cuckoo marans. But the birds can also be mixes that look like pure breeds. The roo looks like a mix, what type of comb does he have? And barnyard mix could be a mix of pure breeds or could be a mix of a mix of a mix.
You know, I am thinking they might be marans. They lay dark eggs, my black hen lays a dark chocolate speckled egg exactly like what the marans lay. Perhaps she is a "black copper" maran hen? Her babies are definitely the color phase of "black copper" marans, because one pullet has black, with some brown dusting mixed in (not laced, not penciled, etc).
Maybe those other hens aren't Barred Rocks. How do you know? They could be marans- looking at barred marans, I think they definitely look more alike.
Egg color (this is what my barred hens lay, I don't have a picture of my black hen's eggs- but they are basically the exact same of the "dark chocolate" variety of Maran eggs)
20180101_172717.jpg

The roo has a bit of an odd comb. It's like a rose comb/pea comb combined. Sort of lopsided. I believe it's been frostbitten in the past, he is older than my hens. It also could be inbreeding (if he is purebred), because one of my barred hens has wry neck. He has very large wattles and an upright, not very small comb leading me to believe it's been frostbitten.

As for breed characteristics it does match up. My black hen has brooded eggs successfully, one of my barreds has tried, and they produce about 2 or 3 eggs per day in summer (so about 16 average, out of 4 hens.) They are heavy (7,8 lbs).

Back
Top Bottom