Mixed breed, pretty sure this is a cockerel, 4 cockerels and a pullet.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by quiche, Dec 7, 2012.

1. quiche

quiche Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2012
    I'm 99% sure this one is a cockerel (buff colored one) but "he" is the only one that has not crowed for me just to prove it. Also he/she submits like a hen to one of the other cockerels and engages in the fighting less? I'm processing the others this weekend and would like to do them all at once if possible. Other clues are very thick legs, it ruffles and fans out it's neck feathers and it's feathers are getting really shiny. Any guidance?

On a related note, out of my 5, turns out only one is a hen. I'm not going to process the Silkie cockerel because I think I may be able to give him away. That leaves me with one poor little mixed breed bantam hen. Can she make it on her own a couple of weeks until I can take her to her new home? Or should I hold on to the Silkie cockerel until I can take her to her new flock? (If someone wants him right away, I'd like to find him a home). P.S. We live in MD average nighttime temp in Dec. are in the 30's and 40's, but sometimes dip down into the 20's.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that looks like a pure buff orp cockerel not a mix breed....no one in those pics really look mixed in any form...the red looks like a new hampshire

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  3. chickenluver100

chickenluver100 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2012
    Hi!
    I think that he is definately a roo. He is probably being submissive because he is low on the pecking order, so he does not want the other roo's to hurt him. I would recommend keeping the roo with the hen until you can find her a home, but if that is not an option you could put a heat lamp in the coop.
    Hope this Helps! [​IMG]

4. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    That's a Buff Orpington cockerel alright. And a pretty one too!

5. quiche

Dec 7, 2012
    Thanks so much for the speedy replies. It is possible that these roosters are full bred. My husband's cousin has 4 roosters in her flock (about 30 hens) all different breeds so if the stars align she gets the breeds! Her flock is where this batch came from. They are pretty, it's a shame I can't keep them. Actually the "New Hampshire" looking one is a really nice rooster, very protective of the others, but good with humans.

6. Chickengirl47

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    I like that silkie behind your buff

7. quiche

Dec 7, 2012
    He is looking for a home if you are in MD.

8. Chickengirl47

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Do you have any pic of him? l love seeing pictures of chickens, but mostly silkies. BUT I already have six silkies myself, (Even though I have to get rid of all my cockerels but one) and five are already acting like ROOS! I lost one of my female silkies to my cat Demi too, anyway, I have a few silkies, and I don't really want males. Enless I can find a Sumatra roo. ;) But thank you anyway!

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    were do you live at in Louisiana? i'm in vernon parish....what will you do with the silkie roos? i am always looking for silkie roos and hens along with d'uccle roos and hens for my project that i hope to get under way next year. my parents have sumarta's both blue and black but no extra roos but do have 2 sumatra/ blk assuie mixes for sale, both of which look a lot better now that they are older. they had also just been dipped for lice since we had some chickens that went to the fair come back with lice -__- i hate when that happens as there are over 50 chickens that have to be dipped if that happens...

this is the blue:
    [​IMG]

this is the black:
    [​IMG]

this is a pullet (same mix):
    [​IMG]

then theres this red shouldered yokohama that they are trying to sell:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  10. Chickengirl47

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    We are giving our silkes away to anybody who wants them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by