Mixed Breed Roosters (Silkies? Ameracauna?) in Need of Home Southern NH

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by nhbackyardchick, Oct 23, 2013.

1. nhbackyardchick

nhbackyardchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    I have 2, possibly 3 roosters (9 weeks) in need of homes. Our White Rock went broody over the summer, and she hatched out 6 chicks with some eggs given to us by a lady at our local feed store. She said she has many breeds, silkies being one, which is evident due to the "mohawks some of these birds are sporting. I think they could have some Ameraucana as well due to the puffy feathers around some of their faces, but I am really no expert. They are pretty birds, their feathers shine green and even bright red in the sun. We cannot keep roosters here and they are already crowing! I wasn't expecting this for a few more weeks! We have seen the two pictured with the bright red combs crowing, so we know they are roosters. The all black one with the black comb is a rooster "suspect". If it turns out to be a hen we would keep her. Any ideas on whether he/she is a rooster or a hen? All three engage in aggressive behavior, or "chicken stand off" as we call it (that is pictured as well). These would be free to a good home. When I say "good", I do understand that they likely will be dinner at some point. Of course I would prefer that they didn't, but I have to be realistic. We would just like them to be well cared for, free range some if possible, and treated humanely for the remainder of their days. Any suggestions on where else I may look for a home for them would be appreciated.Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by