1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixed breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AllisonK, Jun 22, 2008.

1. AllisonK

AllisonK Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    Any reason not to get a mixed breed chicken?

2. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    if you do not want pure chicks and just eggs thats fine

3. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I'm getting mixed chicks, first time around it might be a better idea to go with mixed chickens. Mine will be RIR X Columbian Rock.

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

They're not radioactive or anything. [​IMG] I love my mutts they're gorgeous and great all around.

5. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:EVERY BREED, MIXED OR NOT IS SPECIAL [​IMG]

6. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    every breed was a mutt to start with [​IMG]

7. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    The RIR wouldn't by any chance be the father would it? Cause RIR rooXColumbian rock hen results in red sexlink chicks.

Still a mutt, but a very productive one.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  8. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:I'm not sure, All I know is that the cockerals grow up white, so that would suggest that the father was the Columbian Rock, would it not? ... I suppose that makes them semi-sexlinked, or entirely sexlinked as I'm not certain on whether or not the boys are born white, or born browny red and their full feathers are white.

Mutt means a different thing to me I think though, because a mutt to me is where one or both of the parents breeds are unknown, or mixed, and a mix is where it's a straight mix, of two pure breeds... like for instance, one would call an F1 Labradoodle a mix, both parents are purebreds of their respective breeds, and an F2 Labradoodle would be a mutt in reality as one of the parents is for sure a mix breed, although both parents are known.

I make little sense LOL.

Edited to add: ohhh bloody, I just actually read properly what you said.. and that would make sense, LOL so if the RIR is the roo, would that make the girls or the boys red? ... the hatchery and the breed information I've found says that the cockerals grow up white.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  9. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:Orpingtons were comprimised originally of several common breeds, I bet there were BYC people back then going "ugh, mutt..."

10. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    In red sexlinks the hens will be red or reddish orange and the males white with a few dark brown feathers on the back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by