mixed breeding

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by heather15, Aug 7, 2011.

1. heather15

heather15 New Egg

Jul 30, 2011
    I admired some stunning five or six-month pullets over the weekend and was at a loss to guess as to breed. The owner told me they were the result of his first foray into cross-breeding and that the resulting birds came from a cross of game hens and an Australorp rooster. I was admiring the gorgeous greys, purples, russets and oranges, but he said his intent was to get the alertness and independence of the games, along with the tendency of broodiness and combine it with all the known assets of his favorite bird, the Australorp. Made sense to me, but I'd like to hear some pros and cons.

2. MommaBugg

MommaBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    I for one support mixed breeding. A lot of breeds these days are result of mixed and selective breeding.

I am close to starting my own breeding program. I am missing a few breeds I would like in the mix, but I love mixed breed chickens, you always get a suprise on the different combinations of colors and personalities(sorry my input was not more scientific, if thats what you were looking for [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, would it be possible to get pics of the pullets? Did his attempts work?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  3. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    I think mixed breeding is fun [​IMG] My old flock consisted of 1 Sultan Rooster and Buff Orpington, Sex Link, Jersey Giant, Partridge Rock, Black Star and some mutt hens and my were the chicks cute! Its neat to mix breeds and see what you get.

4. BrownSheep

BrownSheep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    If I was to guess mix breeding is (as in most animals) a good thing. They resault in hardier animals. These animals are less prone to the flaws of the purebreeds.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    x2

I breed a lot of different animals. THe cross breds are hardier and I can get faster changes in the performance. THen use line breeding to fix the genes and culling to make subtle improvements. (I do appreciate the purebred lines too.)

6. MommaBugg

MommaBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    X3

While there is a lot to be said of the beauty of the pure breeds, mixed breeds can have its advantages of gathering good qualities from each breed that the other may lack..

Then again you may come out with a couple with nothing but bad traits of both breeds, which the culling process takes care of

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by