1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixed breeds and behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Windy Hill, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Windy Hill

Windy Hill New Egg

Mar 27, 2009
    Readfield
    We have 12 chickens of mixed breed, 1 rooster, and 3 guinea fowl. We recently discovered (or figured out I should say) that 1 of the guineas is a male. All has been well, they all lived together the whole winter with no problems. 2 days ago we discovered the male guinea attacking one of the weakest chickens and pecking very aggressively and drawing blood. Shortly after the other 2 guineas and one of the chickens followed suit and were about to peck it to death. Does anyone know if this is common behavior of guinea's towards other chickens? We got rid of the male but still have the 2 females - do you think they will eventually keep pecking so aggressively?

2. rachiegirl

rachiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    Was the chicken sick or injured in any way? lots of animals and birds will gang up on one that is having problems to kill it or drive it away. i think it is a natural defense to drive away sick and injured to deter predators away from the healthy family group. may have been they were just doing what birds will sometimes do and not necessarily overly aggressive?

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I had to get rid of my guineas because they would run and "thump" my chickens. By thumping, I mean they go at them feet first and knock them halfway across the yard.

I'll never have guineas again.

meri

4. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    We have guineas and chickens. Yes, guineas will pick on chickens. We do a couple things. We don't let the guineas roost with the chickens, and we make sure the chickens have a roo that will stand up to the guineas and keep them away from the girls.

If those two things are satisfied they get along just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by