Mixed breeds and egg color...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 4Hchickenproject, Dec 7, 2011.

1. 4Hchickenproject

4Hchickenproject Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    This has probably been asked a dozen times already, so I'll be searching the forum as well...

My production reds = brown eggs; neighbor's roosters that won't leave = white ear lobes

If I hatch a few eggs and they are from her roos and not mine, what is the heritability rule of crosses/ear lobes? Will some lay brown eggs, some white, is one dominant? I would love to have a variety of colors of eggs (and hope to eventually have a couple hens of several breeds...when I have proper place to keep them)

Thanks!

2. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    IF he is from a pure white egglaying breed and not a cross himself the eggs should be cream/off white colored if he's from a mixture of the two then its just a crap shoot maybe brown maybe nearly white. It'd be something interesting to wait for for sure.

Jeff

3. 4Hchickenproject

4Hchickenproject Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks, Jeff. I love chicken-surprises, so I'm interested to see too.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Ear lobe colour is not linked to egg colour genes. However, mediterranean breeds have white earlobes and lay white eggs; I know there is a white lobed breed that lays brown eggs, but offhand cannot think what it is; most breeds with red earlobes lay brown eggs, but once again there is at least one breed that lays white. And turquoise earlobed silkies lay a tinted egg, not a blue one [​IMG]

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:edited because wrong answer.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:Pendesenca is a white earlobed dark brown egglayer

Lamona is a red earlobed white egg layer

My Dellaweggers(EExDelaware) lay green eggs and their earlobes are red but then again there's not very many Dellaweggers out there either, too [​IMG]

But in the general utility type chicken world that 99.9999999999% of the populous here on the BYC, I would venture to say the white earlobe=white eggs and the Red earlobe=Brown eggs

So in general if you cross a white earlobe to a red ear lobe your more than likely gonna get a cream/off-white tinted egg 99.99999% of the time if you're the .00001% you probly SHOULD know the out-come already.
    Some on here make things too dififcult for 'ol Average Joe to get sometimes KISS: Keep It Simple Sweetie or many other various words that could start with "S" that would fill the blank [​IMG]

Jeff

Edited for spelling sometimes these two index fingers can't keep up with my rambling mind [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Pendesenca is a white earlobed dark brown egglayer

Lamona is a red earlobed white egg layer

My Dellaweggers(EExDelaware) lay green eggs and their earlobes are red but then again there's not very many Dellaweggers out there either, too [​IMG]

But in the general utility type chicken world that 99.9999999999% of the popuous here on the BYC, I would venture to say the white earlobe=white eggs and the Red earlobe=Brown eggs

So in general if you cross a white earlobe to a red ear lobe your more than likely gonna get a cream/off-white tinted egg 99.99999% of the time if you're the .00001% you probly SHOULD know the out-come already.
    Some on here make things too dififcult for 'ol Average Joe to get sometimes KISS: Keep It Simple Sweetie or many other various words the could start with "S" that would fill the blank [​IMG]

Jeff

[​IMG] well said; I'll have to add dellaweggers to my vocabulary [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by