mixed breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by collier, Dec 29, 2010.

1. collier

collier Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    swansea
    As we are going bigger and wanting more, Can different breeds of hens live happily together or souldnt you mix then ? x

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    If they are pretty much the same size or gentle temperament then yes go ahead and mix. I have several breeds together in my laying pen. I do have silkies that are by themselves because I had them with another larger breed and the roo started picking on the silkies. Silkies can have vaulted skulls so they can be easily injured if pecked in the head so I keep them separate.

3. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

All mine get along okay. But most are dual purpose sized with nice personalities. My GLW are bossy, but everyone else lets them be in charge, so its all good!

4. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    yes, they can as do dogs of different breeds

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    My egg layers, which I have about 50, are different breeds and mutts all mixed together. They get along well. Each bird knows their place in the pecking order. Each spring I add a few more with no problems.

Lanae

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    They can. Just don't mix aggressive and docile breeds. For example -

Don't put faverolles in with RIR.

Don't put polish in with Leghorns.

Don't put cochins in with Wyandottes.

That being said, sometimes those breeds aren't as aggressive if you get them from a reputable breeder. But I still wouldn't try it. I lost two birds that way; trying to mix more aggressive breeds with less aggressive ones.

The only docile bird I ever had that could hold her own with the RIR, sexlinks, and Wyandottes was my Australorp.

7. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:I disagree my hatchery wyandottes were very nice so are my RIR. They all should be fine.it is best to have them grow up together

8. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    mine are all together and I have alot of everything including standards and bantams

9. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  10. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Serious over crowding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by