mixed chicken and guinea eggs in bator green slime

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by granny hatchet, Oct 12, 2013.

1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I'm having the worst hatch ever, about the same time my eggs went in the bator i found illness in the flock. not tested but most likely CRD, last night an embryo was active, day 20, this morning it was dead. when i opened it i saw mostly developed ,bean sized yolk left but, it was covered in a green goo, or slime. i have never seen this before and wonder what it could be? one keet out of 30 survived and 4 chicks out of 14. i still have two chick eggs yet. i know i'm not supposed to mix different hatch dates but i have done so successfully before. and it just worked out that way. any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    GREEN GOO ON EMBRYO ?

3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    new symptom, crossed beak and drowning in the goo. membrane wet too. ANYBODY?

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm sorry to see no-one answered yet. I'm guessing they are baffled too. I have never seen "green goo" in a hatching egg and I'm not sure what it could be, but I'm guessing it could've been caused by contamination? Did you wash the eggs, incubator and your hands before handling the eggs?

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thank you for acknowledging my post any way. im very baffled by it. as to your question, no i didnt wash the eggs and yes everything else was clean including sunshine on the bator. 2nd. embryo today was the same except for the crossed beak

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X2 wondering about some type of contamination of the eggs coming from the flock. Is an exotic bird link that has a list of diseases that can affect hatching eggs from the hen.
    http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/eggs.html

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i dont know how you found this site but thank you! finally an answer i think, pretty sure. E COLI thats contagious to humans too i believe. at least i can read up on it now. guinea eggs i found in the field where she was sitting, one out of 30 hatched with my chick eggs which fared a little better 6 out of 17 but the longer there in there the worse it got. still have one egg left due tonight, looks good in candle. i dont know how you send special ovation but you need one[​IMG]

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i piped my last egg this morn and i see the same thing big blob of green. the sad thing is the baby is still alive . its breathing and moving its head , in position to hatch not chirping though. its bound to die. i dont know how to finish it or i would. i dont want to touch the goo. the only thing i can think of is to throw it against something. ive had to put babies down before but not like this

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sorry about your eggs and the babies, hope you figure out what is going on. If the chick doesn't die on its own trying to hatch and you feel you need to cull it, if you have some engine starting fluid / ether, you might consider putting the egg/chick in a plastic bag and soaking a rag or some cotton balls etc with ether to put in there and closing it up tightly.

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    does that work fast? its still living, not finished hatch. i put damp paper over it and i just look and it just look right back. this gonna be a hard one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by