Mixed chickens? Anything cool?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mr_roosterboots, Mar 2, 2011.

1. mr_roosterboots

mr_roosterboots New Egg

Jan 17, 2011
    There are a couple breeds of chickens that i think would look cool if they were mixed. Like a silver phoenix and a polish breed. If any one has done that, please post pics! And if you have other mixed breeds that look cool post those too but be sure to include the breeds its from:)

2. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I have always wanted to mix polish, pheonix, and naked necks and see If I could get crested chickens with naked necks and a long tail!

3. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Wildwoodcochins has a beautiful Mille Fleur X Buff Columbian Cochin Roo....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Did I mention drool??

4. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

top 2: porcelain d'uccle rooster over salmon favorelle hen bantam (male at top, female in 2nd pic)

[​IMG]
    above: white japanese bantam rooster over both a lavender and black cochin hens (cockerel in foreground, white pullet next to him)

[​IMG]
    above: white crested black polish rooster over buff orpington hen (pullet)

[​IMG]
    above: some sort of cochin/favorelle mix rooster

[​IMG]
    above: white crested black polish rooster over barred rock hen (cockerel)

You can decide on the coolness factor LOL

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have a very pretty Delaware/NN she is turning white with some black barring. She is 3 weeks old. At the scraggly stage but when she fully feathers she is going to be beautiful
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. These are Silkie/Bantam Cochin mixes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Silkie/Duccle
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If you mixed a phoenix with a nice long thick saddle to a polish with a heavy topknot, the offspring could be bred for a few generations to get birds with really long feathers in the topknot, because the length of the saddle is directly related to neck hackle length, which in turn is responsible for the length of the feathers in the topknot. I imagine the naked neck gene would not matter too much as it would not effect the topknot very much.
    Do it.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:If you mixed a phoenix with a nice long thick saddle to a polish with a heavy topknot, the offspring could be bred for a few generations to get birds with really long feathers in the topknot, because the length of the saddle is directly related to neck hackle length, which in turn is responsible for the length of the feathers in the topknot. I imagine the naked neck gene would not matter too much as it would not effect the topknot very much.
    Do it.

So that's why Polish naturally have such large, long tails. . .

9. chickenlife22

chickenlife22 New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
  10. Colorfulegg

Colorfulegg New Egg

Jun 21, 2014
    Has anyone mixed a Belgian bearded with a polish?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by