Mixed chicks help identifying

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by samantha88, Jan 23, 2015.

1. samantha88

samantha88 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2015
    [​IMG]
    These are mixed breed chicks. I don't plan on keeping all of them and I want to be able to tell whom ever im selling them to what I think they are.

This would be easier if I had one rooster and one hen, however before incubating my rooster died and I got a new rooster. My new rooster is a barred rock. The hens are black sex link and barred rock.

The yellowish one is a male, and I will likely keep him because he's very unique out of the bunch. Any ideas what he may look like as an adult?

Any help is much appreciated!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What breed was your old rooster?
    With the barred rooster and hens, it's going to be very difficult telling who came from which parents. I'd just advertise them as mixed breed chicks and list the potential parent breeds.

3. samantha88

Jan 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

Here is the old guy. He had some gold on him. I don't really know what he was...BR and? I wasn't planning on breeding him since I got a new rooster...
    [​IMG]
    He's all BR, right? if i breed him next I'll have straight BR's and (do you still have BSL if the rooster is a BR and female is a BSL?)

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Bantamlover21.

6. samantha88

Jan 21, 2015
    So after the "first generation" what are the chicks called if they arnt BSL? Just a barnyard mix? I am in Alaska and it seems as though people are identifying by what their colors look like. May not be a pure BR but if it kind of looks like one they are advertising as that. Is this the correct thing to do? You said "hatchery quality", maybe that's what is going on where people have many roos and hens and incubate or let a broody sit. Then they are identifying to the best of their ability based on the color of the chicks? Chickens are high demand up here, and I would like to start incubating and selling. But, I don't want to make a poor name for myself if I advertise a BR or a BSL based on looks. Perhaps, I should just say they are mutts : ).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, I would just call them a Barnyard mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by