Mixed Dozen...What breed/gender are these cuties?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickadoodle, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Chickadoodle

Chickadoodle New Egg

Jun 18, 2008
    My daughter brought home the class science project...what are they? They are about 4 weeks old.

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

What are they? Well they look like they are a lot of cockerels [​IMG] The first picture looks like buff orps, are the legs white? The second pic could be a welsummer?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    1. Buff Orpingtons-2 males and 1 female;almost positive on this one
    2. not sure what it is but I am fairly sure it is a female
    3. Black Austrolrop-purely a guess; at least 1 is a male
    4. Rhode Island Reds-2 or 3 females, 2 or 3 males; pretty certain on breed; fairly certain on sexes

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    4. I would say Rhode Island Reds for sure and 3 females and 2 males

5. Chickadoodle

Chickadoodle New Egg

Jun 18, 2008
    The buff color chicks do have whitish/light pinkish legs. What's the difference between the buff orph and the buff rock. (I have been looking in McMurry magazine to try and figure these chicks out). The one you say looks like a wellsummer is small/petite compared to the rest. I was thinking the red chicks were RIR but they have cream color patches on their head. I have no clue to the black and white chicks identity.[​IMG]

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    OK the second pic if she is smaller it is probably because she is a lt brown leghorn and they dont get too big
    The Orps have white legs and yes thewy are orps.

The black ones I noticed 1 has yellow legs and one has black legs. I am pretty sure the yellow legged one is a male. That would also mean they are 2 dif. breeds if they have dif leg colors

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by