Mixed duck flock?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicksducks1, Mar 21, 2017.

1. chicksducks1

chicksducks1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2017
    I'm getting ready to get some ducklings in may, I had definitely decided I want some Muscovy ducklings, but now I'm thinking maybe I would like some kaki kambells. How do ducks do in a flock of mixed duck breeds?

2. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

One of the reason I chose ducks over chickens is that from what I had read, ducks don't seem to care about different breeds as much. I knew that whatever species of backyard poultry I got, that I wouldn't be able to settle on just one or two breeds - not without doing proper "scientific research" by owning lots of different breeds. (See, I'm not addicted to ducks, I'm doing important research! :clap )

Right now, I have four different breeds of ducks and they are getting along just fine. :fl

4 people like this.
  3. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    I have 1 splash Swedish, 3 buffs, and 2 pekins. They get along great and they room with my two silkie chickens. Mixed flock is the way to go! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. chicksducks1

Mar 11, 2017
    That's so perfect! I have to start telling my husband that when ever I bring home a new chick and soon to be ducks! Thanks so much for your experience! Now I have an excuse to get more birds and expand my research! [​IMG]

5. chicksducks1

Mar 11, 2017
    Awesome that's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure! Thanks so much!

6. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

Anytime!:) love talking about my mini flock [​IMG]

7. wcbpolish

wcbpolish Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2017
    Pierson, Michigan
    Recognize that if muscovies cross with other ducks, the offspring are sterile.
    We have a mixed flock... they were collected for free through craig's list and we like them.
    ~10 pekins
    1 pair of harlequins
    1 khaki campbell
    ~9 magpie-ish mixed color mutts

8. chicksducks1

Mar 11, 2017
    I'm not to worried about them being sterile as I always love buying some babies haha. If you don't mind me asking which of those breeds do you like the best?

9. wcbpolish

wcbpolish Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2017
    Pierson, Michigan
    No preference. The magpie mutts are distinct looking, so each is more individual (good for naming if that's your thing) I think that the harlequin are the prettiest. The khaki campbell is my least favorite, but he's done nothing especially wrong to earn that distinction.

10. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

:D I do love being helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by