1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixed Duck identification help??? And is this in fact a Black Swedish?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wealdooo, Mar 13, 2013.

1. wealdooo

wealdooo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    We just got this duckling to day at TSC (3 days old, max, they said) along with a mallard and two white crested ducks. And it looks just like our 2 week old White Pekin did, but has black spots. I assumed that it's a mix, is that correct? Any ideas what it's mixed with??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, this is one of our 2 week olds. I thought it was a Black swedish because of it being all black, black beak, and yellow chest. But today I saw pictures of some Cayugas that looked similar. I would just like other opinions of whether or not this is a Black Swedish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Thank you!!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I doubt the one is a mix since hatcheries don't sell mix breeds and thats where TSC gets theirs from. It could be ancona, magpie or a poorly marked, well many breeds.

Does the black stand that upright all the time? If so, I'd say runner.

3. wealdooo

Mar 13, 2013
    I honestly couldn't really understand what you meant by standing upright, so I uploaded a private video of the duck walking. Hopefully this helps:

And for the duckling, thank you for that information. It does look a bit like an Ancona even though they seem to usually have more black on their backs. But it does have that little black right above the beak that I noticed on most Anconas. Thank you so much!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'd say runner.

See how the runner duckling stands up with the belly almost vertical.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And swedish belly more horizontal to the ground
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. wealdooo

Mar 13, 2013
    And as far as TSC not doing mixes, this is the breeds they claim to carry yet I have two white crested ducks I just got there today so I'm not really listening to what they claim to carry anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. wealdooo

Mar 13, 2013
    Oh okay. Well, when we first got it, it looked exactly like the pictures of the swedish.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    All Mallard derived breeds can carry the crested gene. It could be a crested Pekin.

8. wealdooo

Mar 13, 2013
    [​IMG]

9. wealdooo

Mar 13, 2013
    white crested is the same as a crested pekin.

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    White crested ducks are not the same as pekins. A white crested duck usually weighs around 6 pounds - 7 pounds while a crested pekin weighs quite a bit more than that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by