Mixed Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NineChickens, Mar 16, 2018.

1. NineChickens

NineChickens Chirping

May 23, 2017
    So I think I've read that any duck that came from the mallard can produce fertile eggs, even when crossed, right?
    So a Rouen mixed with a Swedish can produce fertile babies? Or a Rouen X Magpie or a Rouen X cayuga? Because I really want a male rouen, they are beautiful, and if he'd have babies with another breed I just wanna know if they'd be fertile. I'm just doing some research for down the road. Double checking what I've read

Also, completely different question:
    is cayuga pronounced (K-OO-GAH) ??

2. MagpieDucks

MagpieDucks Preserving Orpington Bantams

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Yep! That's correct.

I say it ky-OO-gah, but I've heard people say it kuh-WOG-ga. Which in IMHO I don't think is right. The way you said sounds about right.

3. NineChickens

NineChickens Chirping

May 23, 2017
    Awesome, thanks!

ViolinPlayer123 likes this.
  4. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Any mallard derived duck can cross with another and produce fertile off spring. Those offspring though can have reduced fertility or health(according to the Storey’s guide to raiding ducks). I have one drake who is 1/2 Khaki and 1/2 Appleyard and four full Khakis. When I have had chicks not hatch and die in the egg more often than not when I break the egg open I find the duckling had facial stripes which means they were his offspring. I wonder if the Appleyard genes make the ducklings too big for the smaller Khaki eggs.

ViolinPlayer123 likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

No, the embryo always fits the egg they are in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: