Mixed Emotions - Equine Related - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by helmstead, Jan 23, 2008.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I've been very lightly marketing my Percheron mare for about 4 months, not really wanting to sell her and not really believing she would sell in today's market.

Well, I got a bite - a hard one. Matter of a fact, a trailer will be here Saturday and she's likely leaving on it.

[​IMG]

I made the decision to sell her as one of those darn 'responsible adult' decisions. But I've had her since she was a wee girl, and she's my doll. I just don't have a real use for a Perchie, being a hunter rider. It's so hard to let go. I almost hope she bucks or something and the buyer goes home...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

:aww I know how hard it is to let go........ sorry girl......glad though you did get a bite...........wish it was easier !

3. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    They're almost like kids , aren't they ? So hard to let go ! Look at it this way , if she's going to a good home , she'll probably get alot more use . Which is great for her ! Make sure you ask if you can stop by every once in awhile to "visit" . That way you can check up on her and see if she's being cared for properly . It's still sad though .[​IMG]

4. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    two things:
    one, do you like the folks?
    if yes and if they can give her more time and attention then you have right now then know you are doing a wonderful thing for her.

two, do you have funny feelings about the adopters?
    stop. follow you gut. if you don't think it's "right" then wait for another offer.

good luck and hang in there. i work with lots of foster animals (we give them a safe, loving home until their forever people step forward to adopt) and it's hard to let go but it is also a great joy to see an animal move into a loving forever home where they will be truly cherished.

oh, and take plenty of photos. trust me on this. the photos will mean a lot even as the years go by.
    [​IMG]

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    fallenweeble has the right advice. If the people feel right to you, go for it. If they don't, wait for the next folks.
    Personally, I would insist on a follow-up visit (at least one..), but I'm such a softie.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've had the same feeling about selling a few of my chickens, too, Kate. I just wanted to yell STOP! as they were driving away with them. I sure can empathize with you.

7. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Aww. I know it's very tough. We went half on a German-Warmblood stud-colt. He was still located in Germany, so we didn't even get to see him that often. He had such a sweet temperament, drop dead gorgeous, HUGE potential... I wish we could have kept him (well, our portion, lol), but due to me going to college, boarding my other mare, and just overall financial expenses...we decided to sell our interest in him..well, an offer that we really couldn't turn down just happened to come at the right time...

I agree with what everyone already mentioned. If you really have no use for her... there's really no point in her just being there to be there... if these people seem like good-kind folks who are pretty horse knowledgeable and who would actually use her for something, that would be for the best.

Being mostly a show jumper and reined-cow horse rider myself, I bought horses as a resale projects in the past... being a very "animal person" I have gotten extremely attached to them, but because of my financial status, and my goal to make some sort of interest off them... I had to let them go. Some of them weren't cut out for the riding disciplines I am interested in, and selling them to people I knew who be able to take them further in something else was the best thing I could to for them. Some still give me updates on their progress which is great.

Just hang in there. Whats meant to be will be. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  9. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    Do you have a first refusal/buy back option drawn up? I'm sorry, I know it's hard for you, but I couldn't do it. I'd worry constantly about all the "What if's".

10. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Marcie went home with her new mommy today. I'm devastated and so happy for her at the same time. I've already had two progress reports from her new owner...I know Marcie is in great hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by