Mixed feelings.. 1st night in outdoor pen.

raincrystalskye

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Florida
We live in Florida so it is by no means cold here right now. Our ducklings have been kept indoors in a large kiddie pool at night (they jump out of it and poop all over my front bedroom tile floor) they spend the daytime in thier fully enclosed pen with a coop house on my back patio. We've had them inside for 4 weeks (not sure of exact age when we got them)they are almost fully feathered just some fuzz on their backs. I put a heat lamp on and left them outside. I feel like a terrible duck mom on one hand but relieved on the other not to wake up to that barn smell across the back part of my house. I'm OCD about cleaning the pen but even with that can't beat that smell and the poopy duck footprints allll Over the floor when they escape.
Am I terrible? I've checked them obsessively and they seem perfectly fine.
Anyone else move thier ducklings out with a heat source before they were fully feathered?

I moved them out at 3.5 wks ago. And out of nowhere the low was 50 that night so I put a heat lamp. They seem to handle cold better than I thought. They seem hot in mid 70s.

I only felt bad the first night. After that they seemed much happier. And I was sooooo happy. Cleaning and smell are just too easy :)

I feel you, mine stay in a big pen in the garage from the tome they are to weeks, then don't go out till i say they can go out, though when i say they go out is when they already have some adult feathers!, but even when they're that big i know its hard.to let them go outside without you. But my clutch thats outside right now has 10 members so i know they keep each other warm, and btw make sure no shape objects are in the pen, i forgot to do that and two got bumble foot, but they're better now and the little sharp things are out now so they're good. I think your doing the right thing checking every now and then, you don't want those predators to come sneaking around they're coop.

They're usually in the shade. In the sun they're definitely too hot often. But sometimes in the shade as well. Usually just the 2 or 3 biggest, and only for a short period of time they're panting. Something I haven't been paying attention to is whats happening that leads up to the resting in the shade next to the water.. Its possible that its right after running around in the sun. I'm really not sure.

We usually go thru a cycle of running around playing/exploring/eating/being active, then resting and lounging for a while. I'm spending less hours of the day being physical with them since I have other real life, less fun stuff to do too
hmm.png
Now that they have a taste for activity, adventure, and exercise, I've noticed they get restless and bored easier. Before they could go for hours just sitting there. Now its rarely an hour and they start running around and "playing football." To get some of that out of their system, I put food in the sun, and water in the shade, 15 feet apart so they have to run back and forth constantly lol. I would not at all be surprised if the times they seem hot are right after adventuring, and then eating & running, and then finally resting in the shade by the water.

I'll keep an eye out, but either way, I'm not worried. Its only a few of them for a few minutes.

I am super impressed how quickly the went from needing a heat lamp, not being able to overheat. They just turned 5 weeks and they handle cold better than I do!

This website gave me a little insight as to why it all changed so quickly: http://www.duckhealth.com/housmngt.html
Table 1. Optimum Temperatures for Ducks

Age of days

°F

°C
1 86 30
7 81 27
14 73 23
21 66 19
28 59 15
35 55 13
42 55 13
49 55 13
Developing breeders 55 13
Laying breeders 55 13

They were ok last night. But super happy to see me this morning :) feeling a little bit better about it tonight. Made a few adjustments so they don't spill thier food and water, thier bedding was soaked this morning. ... Lol crazy lil things. They also seem a lot more relaxed around us I guess because I haven't had to transport them inside and then back outside in the morning in their travel box aka (Rubbermaid tote) That really freaks them out! I could really get use to this! Sooo much easier than cleaning up after them in 2 differ locations and my house smelled like a home not a barn this morning which was awesome!!!! :)

Animals are better with the cold, then most would think. Their feathers help keep them warm, as well as a Shaded area, kinda like a dog Loo. Will help, keep any cold breezes off of them. They also like a small house/dog loo for when they start laying eggs. With a small bit of hay in it. We have some chickens and ducks. They were inside, up until they got feathered out then we moved them outside, they roam the yard eat the bugs and grass (Along with their own food.) We use a rain catcher, and set up some automatic dog watering systems out there hooked up to the rain barrel. So they can get drinks dip their beaks in it with no problem. They have a coop much like you said your patio to keep predators from getting them at night such as fox's. So no your not horrible. Ducks are prone to -NOT- Like change. So they will not like the idea of being outside for a few days or their new environment. But soon enough you couldn't get them to want to come -Inside- with all the grass and funny business they can get into outside.

Ok so they have been outside for 5 days now. Could it be the change that has made them terrified of me now? They've always been a little skittish but it's only gotten worse since they were moved to the outdoor pen. :(

Back
Top Bottom