Mixed flock age feeding needs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sparrow hawk, Dec 31, 2012.

1. sparrow hawk

sparrow hawk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    Sun Valley, California
    My current flock is around 8 months now. I want to get another group together soon so I have a staggered laying flock. My concern and question is if they are all going to be raised together then how do I ensure that the chicks are getting grower and the pullets and hens getting layer feed? Or do I just give them a 16%-18% pellet and hope for the best.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    How old are the chicks??

3. sparrow hawk

Oct 13, 2012
    Sun Valley, California
    The pullets will be 10 months old when I add the 8 week old chicks. Aside from building a holding/rearing coop, I will be putting them all together. I dont really have the footprint to build another coop right now as I am adding another duck pen and expanding my rabbit pens.
    When we were little, the chickens had their babies and everything ate forage with some cracked corn thrown out here and there and all was good.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Sorry I meant that for a different thread.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Most feed producers make a product for feeding a mixed age flock. Purina calls their's Flock Raiser, others call it All Flock. A higher protein Grower or Gamebird feed would also suffice.
    Use a calcium source, on the side, and you're good to go.

6. sparrow hawk

Oct 13, 2012
    Sun Valley, California
    I planned on putting them in one of my rabbit cages with food and water and placing that inside the main coop for a few days then releasing them and watching what happens. That way they are protected the whole time and everthing has a full view of each other. My bigger concern was the feed. The chicks will need grower until 20 weeks while the pullets will be on layer feed. How do I mitigate the different protien needs? How do others do it?

7. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    As Fred said just feed them all a good Quality grower with calcium on the side (oyster shell) and they will be fine. I feed mine 18% all flock all the time and they do great on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by