Mixed flock, ages, feed help!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joyous, Jan 3, 2011.

1. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    I have a mixed flock of 5 adult hens, 2- 8month old roos, 1-8 month old pullet, two 12 week old pullets and 8-8month old guineas. I have been feeding meat chicken feed for the protein content along with free choice oyster shell for the laying hens. The hens are laying well with nice thick walled shells. All appear healthy, active, glossy feathers, pink combs, good weight. I recently had a 12 week old roo with Mareks, and a 7 month old hen die suddenly. Advice I received about the deaths included those that felt the diet might be to blame. So what should I feed? I know the 12 week olds shouldn't have layer feed, the guineas and buckeye chickens are supposed to have higher protein, and the hens need support for laying eggs. Should I feed flock raiser with oyster shells on the side? or should I feed layer feed for all of them. During good weather they free range, but we have had some frigid weather with heavy snows so they are confined to a coop with an enclosed run. HELP!

2. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Hi,
    What are the dimensions of your coop?
    Joe

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  3. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    My coop is 12 x 10 with an attached outside run that is 10 x 11. I have 18 birds all together, and seem to get along fine.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side. I do that with all of my birds. never had one die on me because of it unless it was moldy or very bad feed.

5. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    right now i have 2 year old hens housed with three 14 weekolds. They're fed a mix of starter/grower and layer feed because I had so much starter/grower left when I moved the baby chicks in with the big girls at 8 weeks of age. It worked out pretty well for me as the older hens were finishing their molt and needed more protein and the younger ones should have been on grower/finisher (before transitioning to layer) with less protein.

6. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:You have a lot of space to create separate zones if need be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by