1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixed Flock, Any guesses what breed they are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by anc2908, Aug 18, 2015.

1. anc2908

anc2908 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Virginia
    All of my girls have been given to me by different people. They were not sure what breeds they are so I'm not 100% sure either, just curious if anyone has a guess.
    Ruby was my first chicken:
    [​IMG]
    White with a red comb, fairly large chicken, and lays a hearty size off white egg.
    Henny Penny is the other chicken pictured here with Ruby:
    [​IMG]
    Medium sized feather on her feet and stumpy tail feathers. Lay's medium to small sized brown eggs.
    And this is "Red" who my grandmother claims is a rir but she looks pretty different than most of the maroon colored rir I've ever seen:
    [​IMG]
    Large size chicken, and I've never caught her laying an egg yet so can't say for sure.
    And finally there's Lulu who probably my fattest bird and has the prettiest feather patterns but I haven't the slightest clue what breed she might be:
    [​IMG]
    she's the tan colored one in the picture when the black feathers around her neck and in her tail feathers.Very small comb.

2. Rb Chickens

Rb Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    Redondo Beach
    1st i would say is a leghorn and 2nd is definitely a barred rock

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello and Welcome to BYC from a fellow Virginian!
    Could you get some better pictures? The first is a white leghorn the second one is not a Barred Rock but a Barred Cochin (feathered feet stumpy tail). I'll need better pictures of the rest though.

4. anc2908

Aug 17, 2015
    Virginia
    Here are some more pictures of Red I may have to take some more of Lulu to get a good one. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    The white one looks like an american bresse, leghorn, or a mix. The black and white one is a barred rock. The light brown one is a New Hampshire.

6. anc2908

Aug 17, 2015
    Virginia
    Thanks for the advice so far, I was pretty sure that's what the first 2 so good to know.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The white one is not a Bresse, she does not have blue legs.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Ruby is a White Leghorn.
    Henny Penny is a Barred Cochin. (Feathered legs)
    Red looks like a New Hampshire.
    Lulu could be an Easter Egger.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Ruby is pretty hefty looking to be a leghorn, maybe a leghorn/white rock cross.

10. anc2908

Aug 17, 2015
    Virginia
    I was hoping there was a chance Lulu might be an Easter egg but I have yet to find any eggs from her. Still fairly new to chickens I've had 3 of my girls for about a year and the rest including Lu for about 3-4 months. Luckily I have a fenced lot and live in an area where predators aren't much of an issue so I can free range them but it's definitely presented its own problems when it comes to hunting the eggs. Not sure if she's not laying or I just can't find them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by