Mixed flock for laying, personal use

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WMassforestflock, Nov 9, 2019.

1. WMassforestflock

WMassforestflock In the Brooder

Nov 9, 2019
    Western Massachusetts
    Hello!

We received our chicks from Cackle five months ago. I am obsessed, as is my eight-year-old. She is out taking chicken photos as I write. We live in the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts.

After some planned chick giveaways and two early losses to predators, we have a happy little flock of six chickens including Speckled Sussex, Black Laced Red Wyandotte, Easter Egger, Cinnamon Queen (brown sex linked), and Buff Orpington. Our Buff Orpington was the first to start laying, at 4.5 months. These six hens are very much pets; they all have names and obvious personalities. We chose breeds that were supposed to be friendly and love that they come to greet us. They are pastured in our back yard with an electric fence.

We hope to add three more chicks next year, and really like having a variety of breeds to make the girls readily distinguishable and (soon) the eggs varied. The issue that brought me to these forums is the puzzle of how to try to acquire three chicks of different breeds. It seems that all the hatcheries have a three-per-breed minimum order (other than cockerels). Most of the stores that supply chicks have pretty boring breed offerings. The one I've found in central New England that sells a wide range of breeds (Cheshire Horse in Swanzey, NH) has over a dozen delivery dates with each breed delivering only once, and a minimum order of four chicks per delivery date.

The best solution I've thought of would be to find another backyard farmer in my area who has similar interests and share a delivery date or two at Cheshire Horse. Are there other options?

There may be advice that doesn't require greater detail, but at this time we are interested in Mottled Houdans, Silkies, Bielefelders, Light Brahmas, Black Copper Marans, and Whiting True Blues/Greens. This list changes regularly and will probably be quite different come spring. We would be willing to drive around central New England/eastern NY to make this work.

Nice to meet y'all! I look forward to learning from your wisdom.

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
  3. Kiki

Kiki Is your thermometer calibrated?

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  4. BluebirdHomestead

BluebirdHomestead Songster

Oct 13, 2019
    Longmont, CO
    Hey there! Have you checked out mypetchicken.com? I think their in CT so pretty close to you. I don’t think they have a minimum order limit. I’ve never ordered from them but have heard good things.

5. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
  6. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC!

7. RaineyTN

RaineyTN Chirping

Oct 8, 2019
    Somerville TN
    Try to find a small local breeder that you can drive to prolly the best way. They are out there just sometimes hard to find.

8. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal Flock! :wee

Best wishes and have lots of fun!:ya

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Raven steals Christmas

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  10. Kiki

Kiki Is your thermometer calibrated?

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    @KDOGG331 May be near you.
    She has eggs in her bator right now. I think she might be willing to sell you some if you are near her.
    :oops:

shayann, rjohns39, DiYMama540 and 8 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: