Mixed Flock Ideas?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jheem13, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Jheem13

Jheem13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    central oregon
    My family is in the process of building a chicken tractor and raising our first flock of chickens (probably 4 total) Our plan was to have a mix of: Buff Brahmas, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and Ameraucana. We want a very docile group of chickens that are still good layers and cold weather hardy (we live in the high desert of Oregon)

What's your experience with these breeds and what are your suggestions?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Those breeds sound great! I had wyandottes and easter eggers when I lived in Sprague River and they did fine, I imagine the Brahmas would do nicely also.

3. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I have Brahma & EE's (ameracauna cross) The EE's are still little so I can't give much advice but my Brahmas are very docile birds and lay decent 4 -5 eggs a week and have also layed through the winter with no extra lighting although avg. 3 eggs a week Dec & Jan. They are also very hardy and did fine in the 104F of summer and -15 of winter....although they handle the cold much better than the heat.

4. skyblu

skyblu Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Devon, UK
    my favourite ever hen was a columbian brahma - just so very sweet, gentle and friendly. she was that way from the day I got her at 10 weeks old, very laid back chook indeed!

5. Jheem13

Feb 25, 2013
    central oregon
    We ended up getting: 3 GL wyandottes, 3 buff orpingtons, and 4 ameraucanas although i think 1 is an araucana. We will only keep 4 (the nicest) the rest will be going to our inlaws who want chickens as well.

6. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

If you want docile you should get Brahmas. I have a mixed flock of many breeds and my favorite is my Light Brahma. She is the friendliest, lays the biggest eggs and over 3 years old she is still laying strong.
    And mine happens to lay pink eggs (pictured w EE and Welsummer eggs)

[​IMG]

7. Jheem13

Feb 25, 2013
    central oregon
    We ended up getting 2 buff brahmas. A local feed store ended up getting some even though they werent supposed to. 2 more chickens wont hurt right! Haha. Our favorites so far are the orpingtons. They will jump onto a hand when it is places in the brooder. Then they climb up to roost on your shoulder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by