Mixed flock...is one of each breed ok?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hailajohill, Dec 28, 2016.

1. hailajohill

hailajohill Just Hatched

Dec 28, 2016
    Hi all! Im in the process of researching chicken breeds for a flock i plan to start in march. Im an absolute beginner, but plan to have about 15. Unfortunately, I've found about 15 breeds I'd like to try! Can i get one of each to see which breeds I like best, or should I pick 6 or 7 and get 2 or 3 of each? And if I were to get say a barred rock and a white rock, does that count as 2 of the same? Ive had a few folks say I need at least 2 of each, but I cant find anywhere that suggests if that's true or why it's important. Thanks for the advice.

2. burdboy

burdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I have one of most of my breeds and that's what I preferre mine don't fight I also have bantams Guineas and ducks in with my flock one of each works for me

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] There is no reason you can't have done of each to see what you like. Maybe some say two in case something happens to one? I ordered a shipment with mostly one of each breed, two of some and it got lost in the mail so I did lose some breeds. My cuckoo marans died, a speckled Sussex and the others were all ones of two or three so I had at least one of each left.
    The ones I like, I can get more of later. And if you want a barred rock and a white rock you can certainly get both. Initially I got black copper marans, blue splash marans and a cuckoo, but unfortunately the cuckoo died.

4. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    Its not true that you need to have 2 of each.

Just keep in mind it is moslty true from what I notied over the years birds of a feather do flock together. This can be viewed as both good and bad in terms of bird personality/agressivness in my opinion.

For instance right now I have. 3 Rhode island reds, 3 welsummers 2 speckled sussex 2 barred rocks and 2 crested cream legbars.

My 3 rhode island reds are like a pack of wolves and try to boss everyone and can be over agressive peckers. The 3 welsummers are aloof but one is dominate and puts the whole gaggle of rhode island reds in check when they get out of hand. If it werent for that one welsummer hen I know I would have problems. The 2 specked sussex could care less about eveybody and stay out of the politics. The 2 barred rocks stick together like glue and dont take poo from anyone. And the 2 crested cream legbars are each unpredicatble individuals more consumed with foraging behavior, Ive seen them submit and also firmy stand ground.

I guess what im tyring to explain by giving you a little insight into my current flock is you need to take bird personality into consideration.

Alot is trial and error, but after years of keeping a mixed flock you relaize breed personality and forsight into flock dynamics should be a high priority on your list.

Each bird is an individual yet some are more prone to certain personality chacteristics, do as much research here as you can. Getting one of each should be ok, you will have to see how it goes.

Best of LUCK and WELCOME TO BYC[​IMG]

Dom

1 person likes this.
  5. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I like having a mixed flock. I like being able to tell each chicken apart, they are pets to me. They all have names. I have 2SLW's, One barred rock, one white rock, one buff rock, one black australorp, two speckled Sussex, one Rhode Island red, and three Easter Eggers.
    They all get along fine. I find that my birds tend to hang out in the groups in which I got them in. Four instance I got the road island red, the barred rock and the white rock all together. So they tend to hang out together. Overall they mix well though. I keep finding different breeds I want to have also :)
    [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I think a mixed flock is a great idea, especially for a newbie.

first, you can tell the birds apart. Kind of hard to do if everyone is a barred Rock, etc.

second, you can experience more breeds. Some breeds look great on paper on the Interwebz, but in the coop they just don't work for you, for whatever reason.

third, visual variety and egg color/production variety. Not only can you tell one hen from another, to me it's just more fun to see the different feather colors. And once they start laying, you'll have different colors/shades of eggs.

7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    I would be more concerned about keeping the temperaments the same. So you don't have a bossy breed bothering the more docile breeds. You can check the temperaments on the Henderson's Chicken Chart online. (above)
    Make sure you pick breeds which will do well in your climate. For instance you would not want Chanteclers in Arizona or a breed with a large single comb subject to frostbite in Alaska. Henderson Chart charts all of these traits and makes it easier to see you are picking a flock which will neighbor well with each other.
    You do not need a rooster to have the hens lay eggs.
    Best,
    Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by