Mixed flock of full-size & bantum-Does this affect coop/run size?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nsampsel, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    I am attempting to raise my first chicks and need to know how big my coop/run need to be. I have had my chicks about a week to a week & a half & they are starting to feather in well. I have 4 full-sized pullets & 5 straight run bantums. If I end up with more than 1 rooster I will have to cull them or find a new home for them as I live in town & can't have a bunch of noise. (Do I even need a rooster to get my hens to lay?)

I need to know if having the bantums makes a difference in the size of my coop & run. Can it be smaller with half of the chickens being bantums? Also, I need to know how soon they can go outside to the coop as they are currently in my son's bedroom & need to go out ASAP...lol I live in East-Central Ohio, so the weather here is still rather unpredictable right now. Temps in the past 2 weeks have ranged from the low 20's to the low 70's.

I also have 4 ducks (which I have already discovered need to be separate from my chicks), 2 pekins & 2 mallards which I need to make a coop & run for. I have not seen anywhere on here how to calculate space for them.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Usually you figure 4 sq ft per large fowl, half for bantams. No, you don't need a rooster for them to lay, only to get fertile eggs.

There are different opinions on when they will tolerate outdoor temps, and different factors. It helps if they have lots of hay to snuggle in, and if the coop is draft free, yet ventilated up high to allow humidity and ammonia to escape. Of course if there is a heat source in there, they don't need to be indoors at all; many on here will not brood in the house. I would definitely start acclimating them to the outdoors now, take them out for outings, watch how they react.

I don't know a thing about ducks. There are lots of designs in this section for duck coops, but for space needs, I'd probably ask in ducks if no one answers you about that.

Also -- there really isn't a cut and dried answer to the space question. Post #8 in this thread is a really good writeup about space:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/533672/will-my-run-be-large-enough#post_6815985

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  3. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Thanks Judy. You said 4 ft for full-sized chickens & half that (2) for bantums. Does the same apply for the run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by