Mixed flock or just Buff Orps?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by starchicky, Feb 7, 2015.

1. starchicky

starchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Oregon
    Hey all,

So I am getting ready to change up my flock a bit and get some new baby chicks. My goal is to keep my new Buff Orpingtons from getting bullied (I do have some other chickens that I would like to re-home because of this). I can do that by getting all new buffs, but it would be nice to have some variety. I am tempted by the Laced Wyandottes but have read mixed reviews on whether they are docile like the buffs or if they are aggressive? I also think some Amerucanas would be fun but again am not sure if they would bully the buffs. My goal is to have friendly chickens that will sit in my lap, etc, like my buffs have already enjoyed and not be spooked by other chickens being butt-heads, lol.

So if anyone has kept Buff Orpingtons and Laced Wyandottes or Amerucanas together how has it been?
    [​IMG]

2. Curlyginger

Curlyginger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    In my flock the BOs are the bullies. They bully an EE, a BR and a BSL.

3. jaredthefox

jaredthefox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas
    Ameraucanas are smaller than buff orpingtons. I had to seperate my ameraucanas from the rest of my flock because they were getting picked on. I have New Hampshire reds RIR and blk sex links. I see that all 3 of my breeds are very docile. The only exception is the top hen. She's aggressive but that's to be expected.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Your Buff Orpingtons should do fine with Wyandottes and Ameraucanas as long as they are approximately the same age and size. I've had BOs and Wyandottes together in the past and didn't normally have a problem with them, although on a rare occasion, I had a Wynadotte that was pretty aggressive and bullied the other birds in my flock including the BOs. I current have BOs and Easter Eggers (which is likely what your Ameraucanas will be as true Ameraucanas are relatively rare and expensive). The Ameraucanas sold by normal hatcheries are actually EE hybrids (even if they are marketing them incorrectly as Ameraucanas or Araucanas). My BOs get along fine with my EEs as well as with the Black Sex Links and Black Australorps I have in my flock. Other calm and gentle breeds (potential lap pets) that will get along well with your BOs include Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, and Faverolles. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

5. starchicky

Sep 14, 2013
    Oregon
    Thanks for all the feed back! I do remember reading that about the amerucanas now that you mention it, and just an easter egger was what I was intending to get, more for personaity than the eggs. Well I think I'll try a mix and see how it goes, new chicks are always good!

6. starchicky

Sep 14, 2013
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

Here are my girls at about two weeks:two buff Orpingtons and two silver laced Wyandottes. I have to say the wyandottes are much more fiesty so far and it's surprising how laid back the Orpingtons are when held. Can't wait for my beautiful girls to grow up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by