Mixed Flock, please help identify

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ashyndin, Dec 14, 2013.

1. ashyndin

ashyndin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    I have a mixed flock, i was hoping that I could get some idea of what breeds I have.[​IMG]
    1.lays brown eggs, huge brown eggs
    [​IMG]
    2. lays small green eggs and has tufts of feathers under eye and behind eye
    [​IMG]
    3. rooster is very aggressive and protects his flock,
    4. white hen (laggard?) in rear lays normal sized white eggs
    [​IMG]
    5. has not started laying yet
    [​IMG]
    6. rooster,very docile

any input on what breeds these may be would be most appreciated

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

#1 production red of some kind
    #2 Looks like an Easter Egger
    #3 Roo - no idea, some kind of mix most likely
    #4 no picture shown - but white bird with white eggs probably a white leghorn
    #5 Barred Rock pullet
    #6 A mix, if I had to guess a SL wyandotte mixed rooster going by the chest & neck pattern and the comb.

3. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    2x!

4. ashyndin

Apr 27, 2013
    #3 the rooster, he is so impressive. i am new to the raising and keeping birds but he just seems very impressive to me. i am a novice though

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Red sex link hen, easter egger hen, mixed breed rooster (who should be invited to dinner if he's human aggressive), white leghorn hen (probably, need better pics to confirm), probably a barred rock pullet but I honestly can't see the comb well enough to say it's not a dominique, and a mixed breed rooster.

6. ashyndin

Apr 27, 2013
    we thinned the roosters down to these two and you are right about inviting him to dinner. he has attacked my father once and my daughter once, she is 7 and wants to kill him herself. the only argument that i can use for not culling him is that he protects the hens very well. a dog got close and he did not back down. i have a fox, bobcat and coyotes that live on the property. the coop is guarded on the outside by attack geese and there is a turkey that is very attached to these chickens. they turkey was in the same brooder as some of them and still a few of the chicks she was with sleep "under" her at night, and they are layers for me. i like the layers of security

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

A rooster who is human aggressive has no need to be in a flock. If night security is your worry no amount of protective rooster is going to be worth a darn at night. The roo is sleeping at night and they are as easy a victim as a hen in the dark. They will sit there on their roost and just wait to be eaten with the rest of the flock or run around like crazy trying to escape. At night chickens have very poor eyesight if not nearly blind and as such can offer no protection to themselves or their flock. Their instinct is to flee if they understand they are under attack.

Having the turkey and geese there is no reason to have him during the day either, the other roo will protect the girls as a roo should (provide and call out food locations, give calls for aerial predators, etc)

Just my honest opinion atleast. I have a 9 year old and would never tolerate a roo that is going impede her enjoyment of our yard or her birds.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

1. Road Island Red
    2. Easter egger
    3. Nice looking cant say breed
    4. Cant say
    5. Most likely a Easter egger
    6. Easter egger classic rooster

I have raised many Easter eggers and have just hatched 16 more and now they are 6 weeks old
    you are going to be having fun with the colors of your eggs so enjoy .....

gander007

9. ashyndin

Apr 27, 2013
    good point, if we have another incident he will be with some dumplings

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

You have the right idea as I have Geese Ducks Chickens Genies but I can tell you from experience the bobcat will eat something
    if you do not have them in a pin even with a pin for protection at night this you need but if you let them free range in the day in
    your yard as I do the bobcat will watch you and wait and go hunting as last summer I lost a 3 1/2 year old EE Rooster he was
    great but I wound up taking a photo of him and a bobcat at their last dinner [​IMG]yes I was very displeased to say the least and
    the fox yes I have had to deal with this problem also so do not think for a moment them birds will stop a bobcat or fox not happening
    and I have paid dearly already so let me shire my experience ... (SSS) shoot shovel shut up .......

Like your thinking and do not let me discourage you just lessons hard earned are well remembered ............

gander007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by