1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mixed flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by judebud, Oct 18, 2015.

1. judebud

judebud New Egg

Oct 18, 2015
    Hi,I have a small mixed flock of plymouth rocks, Old english game bantams and 1 large rescued meat hen. My problem is that my hungry meat hen would eat all day if I let her[​IMG] and so my other hens tend to get underfed abit. I was thinking of putting scratch in the 5 gallon feeder and hope that miss 'always hungry' would spend most of her time there.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Meat breeds - eat almost constantly and grow very fast, so they can be processed (slaughtered) at a young age. Their rapid growth overtaxes their limbs and organs. If not processed early they seldom live much longer.

You can put another feed dish where she won't notice it, or partition her off from the other birds, so they can eat also.

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

Drumstick diva is right about meat birds...they are meant to be processed at a young age (I'm thinking around 8 wks old?). If you just sit her down in front of 5 pounds of corn, she'll probably eat herself to death. If you don't want her as a meatie, maybe you could trade with someone that has too many egg layers?

5. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    X 2 - unfortunately "rescuing" meat birds is seldom really rescuing them, in an ironic turn it is often loving them to death in a way more undesirable than the quick, clean death of being processed.

8. Frankm

Frankm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2015
    Manchester TN
    Welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by