Mixed flock

Blackvorlfarm

Chirping
Mar 19, 2021
I have ducks and chickens and I’m aware of issues that could arise should a drake become interested in a hen.
if I add turkeys to the mix, what are the things I should worry or lookout for?
There will be separate housing for them all, but I’d like to have a communal space for them to free range. We have quite a few acres and I’m planning on fencing some of the cleared space in. How much space would you suggest for about 20 chickens, five ducks and 4 turkeys? I was thinking about fencing in an acre but what’s the standard? I’ve seen the needed feet per bird but I can’t picture the size of the space.

I have ducks and chickens and I’m aware of issues that could arise should a drake become interested in a hen.
if I add turkeys to the mix, what are the things I should worry or lookout for?
There will be separate housing for them all, but I’d like to have a communal space for them to free range. We have quite a few acres and I’m planning on fencing some of the cleared space in. How much space would you suggest for about 20 chickens, five ducks and 4 turkeys? I was thinking about fencing in an acre but what’s the standard? I’ve seen the needed feet per bird but I can’t picture the size of the space.
Before you do anything else, find out whether or not blackhead is a problem in your area. If blackhead is a problem, do not keep turkeys with chickens or on ground that chickens have been on.

If it is not a problem there are still other reasons to not keep turkeys with chickens, the biggest of which is space. Turkeys require a lot more space than chickens. Chickens that are kept with turkeys need a lot of space with obstacles and hiding places in case a turkey takes an issue with them. Turkeys can be very single minded and for their own unknown reason can take exception any chicken at any time and they will be relentless in their pursuit of said chicken.

Before you do anything else, find out whether or not blackhead is a problem in your area. If blackhead is a problem, do not keep turkeys with chickens or on ground that chickens have been on.

If it is not a problem there are still other reasons to not keep turkeys with chickens, the biggest of which is space. Turkeys require a lot more space than chickens. Chickens that are kept with turkeys need a lot of space with obstacles and hiding places in case a turkey takes an issue with them. Turkeys can be very single minded and for their own unknown reason can take exception any chicken at any time and they will be relentless in their pursuit of said chicken.
I was thinking about fencing in 2 acres for the communal area. Is that enough for the amount in the original post?

A fenced in 2 acre compound is what my turkeys get to free range in. It would be a big enough common area as long as blackhead is not a problem.
I have no idea. I have searched online and found nothing about my specific area, though I will check with the breeder I get them from. Though personally I don’t know anyone with turkeys close by. He’s about 45 minutes from me

Back
Top Bottom