Mixed Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mr D, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Mr D

Mr D Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    SETX
    What are y'all's thoughts on this mixed flock idea -

1) Two Araucanas for blue eggs
    2) Two Leghorns for white eggs
    3) Two Rhode Island Reds for brown eggs
    4) Two Cuckoo Marans for dark chocolate brown eggs

and maybe 5) One Olive egger.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    That's my kind of flock! [​IMG] My only thoughts are, depending on where you live and what is available in your area (going by what is available in my area) aracaunas may be extremely hard to get so you might consider substituting Easter eggers or Ameraucanas. I've found that of the different marans, the cuckoo marans often lay the lightest egg although some are prettily speckled. For darker eggs I prefer the black copper marans or welsumer, which can also produce a speckled egg, but darker.
    But you're on your way to a colorful egg basket.

3. Mr D

Mr D Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    SETX
    Yea, I'd rather the Black Copper Marans over the Cuckoo Marans; however, finding a company with a good variety that allows you to mix and match at a reasonable (S&H) price is difficult. I think my best option is http://www.mthealthy.com/page/1395107. For the Olive Egger, I have a friend who has a Rhode Island Red rooster, which can breed with one of my (soon-to-be) Araucanas.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I got two Easter eggers last year, one is laying a beautiful blue, and the other the purest green. But not always do you get that lucky, but that does sound like a pretty basket.

Mrs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by