mixed food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dingleberry, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    I have 4 14 week olds and 5 over 1 yr olds. I ran out of the older hens food and have the young hens food. What can I feed both of the flocks so I do not need 2 different kinds of food. and Is there anything wrong with eating the eggs of the hens if they eat some of the medicated food???

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Purina Flock Raiser is all I feed. I supplement it with crushed oyster shell for the big girls. I feed it from chick to pot! You can get it at Tractor Supply.

If you can't get it, feed them all an unmedicated starter/grower with crushed shell on the side.

3. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Quote:thank you

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  4. ella

ella Songster

Or medicated is fine as long as the ingredient is only Amprolium. It's a modified B vitamin and won't mess up anything. [​IMG] At 14 weeks though, unmedicated would be good too, especially if they've been on ground for a few weeks.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:If there are any other birds in your flock you can't feed them medicated feed as it can kill some birds. I feed the Flock Raiser to chicks, layers, roos, guinea, and quail. I've only got to worry about buying on feed! Can also be used with Turkey and Ducks

6. ella

ella Songster

I've never heard of other birds dying from eating Ampolium medicated feed. I heard the rumor that ducks can OD on chick medicated starter but heard no real accounts of when or how this happens. Instead I've heard many people who've fed amprolium medicated feed to ducklings either knowingly or unknowingly and had no ill effects.

Just research for yourself what is in your feed and how it works. Don't rely on what someone tells you or any propaganda or ideas about what is natural. Raising a domestic animal requires personal judgement and reasoning. Information is your friend. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: