Mixed Leghorn: Rooster or Hen?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lanichicken346, Feb 15, 2017.

1. lanichicken346

lanichicken346 Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    Hi everyone

I just joined and this is my 1st thread. I got 4 chickens for the 1st time about 3 weeks ago. 4 hens, but I am unsure of the one mixed leghorn. Not sure if it's a rooster or a hen. I'm hoping someone can help me. I personally think it's a rooster but I'm not sure. Will be 10 weeks on Friday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MissNutmeg

MissNutmeg Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking he might be a rooster also, and [​IMG]!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  3. lanichicken346

lanichicken346 Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    Thank you so much! I'm absolutely in love with chickens right now. Ine of the best hobbies. I was really hoping he wouldn't be a rooster :-(

4. MissNutmeg

MissNutmeg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aw, I'm sorry!
    Yeah I am hopelessly addicted to chickens.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry, he's looking rather rooster-like to me also.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Congratulations on already having developed such good instincts regarding your birds - you are correct and the bird in question is a cockerel. The significant comb/wattle development and coloration (more coloration than size given the leghorn in the mix, a pullet may have this much growth but won't have this much pink at this age) as well as the spots of brick red coloration showing through in his plumage across the back and side and the overall build and stance of the bird are all male characteristics.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I'll go along with the rooster consensus as well. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the community! I am pleased you could join us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy yourself here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Ianichicken346 [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, looks like a rooster to me too.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes, he is a boy. Would the seller take him back and trade for a female? Some do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by