Mixed poultry flock possible?

johnsons-r-us

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Eudora, Kansas
Hello!

We are just raising our first batch of chicks this year. Eggs soon!! We have 10 hens and 4 roos...we think. Too many roos I know. Still trying to figure out how to choose. My question is can I have a mixed flock with turkeys and ducks along with the chickens? Next year we would like to add a couple of turkeys (for food) and a couple of ducks (for pets). Will they just fly off at some point? My chicks free range from sun up to sun down. I like it that way. They stay in our yard of about 2 1/2 acres. We have no close neighbors as we are in the country. How do you house the turkey & ducks? Can they be with the chickens?

Hope I don't sound too stupid!
caf.gif
Trying to learn all I can before jumping into it!
frow.gif

Thank you!

I have chickens, ducks and geese. They all get along together, for the most part. The geese are not found of their personal space being violated, and will pull at the feathers of chickens and chicks crowding them when they're feeding. But that's it.

The ducks do not sleep inside the coop, as they prefer to patrol the grounds at night.

I don't know about turkeys, though, sorry.

My Turkey roosts with my chickens and is a little greedy when it comes to food but other than that she gets along with the chickens.
Ducks are active at night?

Quote:
They free range from morning to dusk. They go into their coop and I close it up just before 9pm. We've had them out all summer (go them in April) and so far it's been great. They have lots of "cover" as our property has tons of trees (they were eating apples today) and shrubs for easy hiding. They following me around the yard when I hang clothes or do yard chores. It's kind of funny. I did not grow up on a farm or in the country so I'm really enjoying this!

Quote:
Can they eat the same food? I'm thinking turkeys can free range too? I could separate food but of course I'm feeding my hens the layer crumbles....the turkey would be able to eat that too?

Can they eat the same food? I'm thinking turkeys can free range too? I could separate food but of course I'm feeding my hens the layer crumbles....the turkey would be able to eat that too?

I feed my turkey the same thing my chickens eat which is layer crumbles, but I think there is a feed you can buy for the turkey only. If they're housed together they will all eat the same food. My turkey doesn't free range, too many hunters where I live, but I've seen videos of turkeys free ranging on youtube and doing fine.​

I have chickens, ducks, and a turkey. They all get along, though the ducks stay to themselves unless there are treats. The turkey stays with the chickens, and everyone puts themselves to bed in the same coop at night.

Back
Top Bottom