Mixed Roo + Mixed Hen = Sex Link or No? (RIR-Delaware) PICS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rhino533, May 16, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    I have RIR - Delaware mix Hens and Roos. What if a Mixed Roo mates with a Mixed Hen when do you get? Mutts? Sex Links? or another name? Can you still sex day old chicks by color or because the parents are both mixed breed color sexing won't work anymore? Any information anyone can give me will be really helpful. Thanks!!

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Basically you'll get a mutt. Depending on the rooster mix though they should be good layers.

3. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Sorry but they won't be sex-links. Just mutts who should be pretty good layers. [​IMG]

4. Th0mmyV

Th0mmyV Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    If both hens an roosters are a first generation mix of RIR and Delaware you should get some RIR-like chicks, some Delaware-like chicks and rest should look like their parents....

5. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    That's what I thougt. MUTTS!! That's ok I enjoy having them. My Hen is an awesome egg layer. She started laying March 3rd and since then she only miss 3 days not laying eggs. She lays an egg at 8am everyday day. Here are some pictures of one of my Roos and my Hen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by