Mixed Species Life partners- Male Crested Pekin Duck & RIR hen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JP101010, Apr 1, 2011.

1. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there,
    meet Miss Red and Clyde. i purchased miss red as a 3 day old chick who had dried BM over her vent making her ill. to my surprise with a little effort she bounced back . the chick being lonely and me not wanting any more chickens at the moment i went and got 2 same age crested pekin ducks. instantly all 3 bonded and about a year later one male named bonnie passed away. it seemed as though clyde became more attached to miss red. here we are almost another year later and they are inseperable to the point of clyde attacking any rooster that even thinks about coming near his woman chicken. its awesome to see them loving each other, the duck will groom her , she sits poolside watching him swim and splash. the downfalls are the aggression ( feather plucking, chasing,etc) from clyde towards other 2 roosters, and the housing conflict that comes with it. lol miss red enjoys roosting on top of the duck at night, so every morning he hits the pool to clean off the chicken poop on his back. please tell me your thoughts on whether this is a mated for life pair so to speak of if i should try to get a female duck? miss red wouldnt be offended, at times she seems to almost be annoyed by him , wanting to join the other hens . any thoughts on the aggression between clyde and the roosters?

thanks
    JP

2. pimachickens

pimachickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Tucson
    I can't be of any help, but I just had to comment. That is the most amazing story!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by